The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sausage, onion, black olives, (sorry olive haters) mozzarella and Asiago cheese.

image.jpeg

I looked back at icebobs posts and followed his method of shaping the pies and it really helped. I had some pork shoulder that I smoked on Sunday left over so I went bbq.

Homemade bbq sauce, mozz, black beans, smoked pork shoulder, onions, cilantro and olives.

Bonus picture of the smoked pork from Sunday

View attachment 1481773163782.jpg

View attachment 1481773196838.jpg

This is my icebob style time lapse process montage. And yea that's an intentional happy face in the first pic. I underestimated how hard it is to remember to take pics at every step. Sopressata, red onion, jalapeno... Simple porcini pie finished with smoked salt... And a spinach, grilled eggplant, and feta.

View attachment 1481861287914.jpg

View attachment 1481861298213.jpg

View attachment 1481861308495.jpg

View attachment 1481861328513.jpg

View attachment 1481861352163.jpg

View attachment 1481861362632.jpg

View attachment 1481861376952.jpg

View attachment 1481861385632.jpg

This is my icebob style time lapse process montage. And yea that's an intentional happy face in the first pic. I underestimated how hard it is to remember to take pics at every step. Sopressata, red onion, jalapeno... Simple porcini pie finished with smoked salt... And a spinach, grilled eggplant, and feta.

Nice cook on those pies. Glad they aren't burnt!

Hey all, I don't wish to horribly side track us but I know that I can't get this quality of info from another thread...
Just for kicks I'd like to try using spent grain flour in a dough formulation.
I've used spent grain before which is weird and fun but I would like to make a flour of it, to make a more "typical" dough. From what I've researched the simplest method, since this is just for fun and not intended to replace my usual methods, would be to oven dry the grain (200F for 7hrs.) and then use a burr grinder (Mr. coffee) to make the flour. Courtesy of unionrdr.
Better ideas? Is there a wet milling method? Seriously, 7 hours???
I have a magic bullet. I can't get a really controlled grind out of it, but I've used that thing for all kinds of applications, it's cheap and robust.
I don't need recipe help. It will be nice to just make a pie without weighing ingredients again or worrying about hydration%.

What about using unspent grains? I know that was wasn't your question but curious anyways.

What if you used a kitchen knife and chopped the s..t out of them

The one with spinach and tomatoes included local fig preserve, mozzarella, gouda, and blue cheese. The other one was a clean-out-the-fridge all-American kitchen sink approach.

I have thought about doing a Reuben pizza. Corned Beef with thousand island type sauce and sauerkraut on a sourdough crust. If anyone else in my family were into Reubens I'd try it. It may have to wait until I am home alone.

While living in NE, I was convinced to sample a ground beef and sauerkraut pizza ... Surprisingly it was edible.

I dig pickled stuff on pizza, do it.
And...Yeastie, I like the range of flavor from fig preserve to blue cheese... Is that your mezzaluna next to the first pie? Look at the size of that thing. Thinly veiled threat to all ranch haters if you ask me...

I have thought about doing a Reuben pizza. Corned Beef with thousand island type sauce and sauerkraut on a sourdough crust. If anyone else in my family were into Reubens I'd try it. It may have to wait until I am home alone.

It's delicious, and probably the #2 way we eat corned beef in my household. Here's an old picture. It's homemade corned beef, homemade kraut, and store bought crust :confused: :D

#3 way is nachos. The only reason I'm including this picture is because it's an awesome picture :D

I decided to experiment a little bit last night. I made 4 dough balls, 2 with the standard no-knead recipe using IDY as a fall back, and then a second identical batch with a tablespoon of sourdough starter instead of IDY.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1483487892.288673.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1483487906.237138.jpg

I see no reason to ever cook with regular IDY again. Only issue here was the crust didn't brown hardly at all. Otherwise it was better in all respects.

ADY is the way to go for pizza...and some OO flour

00 flour will compound that problem above of the crust not browning. Most recommend against using 00 at home if you don't have intense heat (way about your standard 550F max oven) and a short bake.

I've been happy with a steel just below a gas-powered broiler (no auto shut off!) to heat up to almost 700 degrees in my kitchen oven. 75% 00 to 25% bromated bread flour. The bread flour and little sugar in the dough help with the browning.

Has anyone here used the Pizza Party ovens? I'm considering buying an oven and trying to work out what one to go for, although it won' be for quite a while as I'm extending my house

Has anyone here used the Pizza Party ovens? I'm considering buying an oven and trying to work out what one to go for, although it won' be for quite a while as I'm extending my house

Not to my knowledge. The pizzamaking.com forum would be a safe bet for lots of info. Seen pies from parties there....
Pure heat pizza. Mixed some Aleppo(thanks Evets), regular crushed red, and ground habanero pepper on top of garlic, red onion, jalapeno and mushroom- (because their really old now! (wife's traveling)). Hurts so good.

View attachment 1483848737153.jpg

View attachment 1483848754561.jpg

Shrimp, basil, parmigiano reggiano, salt & pepper. 2 minutes on bake on the steel, 1.5 minutes on broil on the top shelf. My wife's homemade mozzarella came out really creamy this time. Loved the texture!
That looks great! Nice to see you posting. How did you handle the shrimp and in what form were they (frozen,fresh...)? I've been wanting to turn my mom's shrimp casserole into a pie and haven't dared yet.

That looks great! Nice to see you posting. How did you handle the shrimp and in what form were they (frozen,fresh...)? I've been wanting to turn my mom's shrimp casserole into a pie and haven't dared yet.

Thanks! These were frozen, partly because this was an impromptu decision (literally when I took the dough out two hours before). Tails off. 15 minute club soda bath (old Italian restaurant secret for tender calamari that I've applied to shrimp). I also bisected the shrimp this time so they didn't weigh down the pie too much.

If your crust can handle the weight, I prefer the shrimp intact rather than bisected. They were ever so overcooked bisected. While I've usually found they're nice and plump when baked whole.

With everything else going on with the pizza, I personally don't think it's worth it to go out of your way to swap out frozen for fresh, especially since with the weight concerns I prefer a smaller sized shrimp. YMMV, of course.

Latest posts

Back