Im a special kid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeandblue302

Reaction score
When i went to the store to grab some Apple Juice from the store for my 2nd apfelwein, well, i was in a hurry and grabbed Apple juice from concentrate that i only 15% juice..haha.

We'll needless to say I didnt realize til after i made it but im going to let it go and see what happens. It was only a 2.5 gallon batch so I am not to worried about the 6 weeks lost.

yea thats the plan. i will keep tabs just incase anyone makes this same mistake. Im kinda interested in what the final taste will be.

so far so good. the fermentation is moving along. I hae a nice layer forming at the top and its only been about 14 hours in.

I'm guess thinking, but if you put in some frozen concentrate, shouldn't you be able to overtake the 85% water of the juice you bought?

Wouldn't it be fine though???

If you think about it, "concentrate" is literally concentrated apple juice by taking the water out of it. It is then "reconcentrated" by adding the water back in. It should still have the same amount of sugar by volume.

What's the difference?

I would be more worried about the preservatives and what they might affect final fermentation.

I think he issue is that it is only 15 percent juice. Thats means 85 percent of that is "something else". I don't think that it is concentrated is the issue. A lot of the apple juice you buy (even ones that say 100 percent juice) are from concentrate, meaning they take water out, then they add it back in. Either way I would still drink it if it tastes decent.

What would the preservatives do? My guess would be affect fermentation but he's already got good ferm going. My last batch I used 2 parts Mixed berry (w/ preservatives) to 3 parts Apple juice 100% and it came out fine.

When you've made it, pour it all into a large bucket.

Then evaporate 85% of the liquid.

Then, you'll have a fitting cup of Apfelwein

Wouldn't it be fine though???

If you think about it, "concentrate" is literally concentrated apple juice by taking the water out of it. It is then "reconcentrated" by adding the water back in. It should still have the same amount of sugar by volume.

What's the difference?

I would be more worried about the preservatives and what they might affect final fermentation.

actually it was preservative free. i was shocked when I saw that but to my surprise no preservatives. Im going to let it go because it just a 2.5 gallon batch. Im making a new one tomorrow with 100% APPLE JUICE in my 5 gallon fermenter.

im not sure but I think this apfeldrink is going strong. A few more weeks and I will see what happens.

I did a five gallon batch like two days after this with actual juice. Now i will be able to compare....the apfeldrink does look like its fermenting well though.

Time will tell.

OH YEAH!!!!

KoolAidMan_Fullpic_2.gif

Usually when I see "juice" like that, it will state something like "Apple Juice (and other juices)" and will list possible "other juices" like pear and grape -- evidently high in sugar and either low in flavor or cost so they justify "watering" down the apple juice.

It will probably taste fine, maybe a little thin on the apple flavor -- but my first attempts have been pretty dry w/ little apple flavoring, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Heck, you could throw just about any stronger juice or fruit in and let it be the predominant flavor.

Yea we will see. I will be sure to post my findings as compared to my other Apfelweins and the one that is sitting next to the "apfeldrink"

Back