Ten gallons just about gone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treekiller

A tree is never safe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long story but here goes:
I was in charge of making the beer for the surprise birthday party for my best friends wife.

First batch ever started life as a Brewer's Best Weizenbier kit, I changed things up by adding White Labs WLP300 yeast (starter of course) and added three pounds frozen raspberries (yes Pasteurized) to the secondary. The beer turned out more along the lines of a wine cooler if you ask me(strong sherry taste, wine like), but better than any store bought that I have ever had. After about 6 weeks in the bottle, the beer was with out a doubt one of the best flavored beers I had ever tasted.

On to the second batch.

I decided to try and pull the next one off, even thought time was against me, after purchasing some keging equipment.

This one was a kit from Morebeer, their Scotch ale.
I brewed this batch just like the instructions said to, with the exception of the steeping temp, I held the temp down in the low 150's instead of the recommended 170. Anyway, I followed the normal primary for one week, secondary for two weeks, then put in the new kegs I purchased for two weeks at 12 PSI.

Well...we had this surprise party and SURPRISE, SURPRISE TO ME, I now have 6 beers left in bottles and MAYBE 6 pulls from the keg ( ten gallons of beer practically GONE in one night MAN!). So I would guess that the beer was a hit. Personally I would have to say that the Scotch ale was the best beer that I have ever tasted( though a little more time would be a benifit), WOW what a kick that stuff has. Lots of folks walked home that night.

Yes I now need to brew more, seeing as I am now out of the best beer I have ever had, but I think that my next endeavor will be a beer from scratch ( still an extract plus steeped grain) just not a kit.

On a slightly different note: How in the Heck do you control the beer flow when friends are around, I mean I would like to have some left for me when the parties are over, ya know?

Beer control usually means putting a keg in the far corner of the basement and 'forgetting' it till your friends go home. : )

: ) I tried.

There's gotta be somewhere you can stash a little beer that your firends won't find it.

But seriously, this is a good reason to fill a dozen or 2 bottles once in a while and lay it down somewhere. Not only will you get to let that beer bottle condition a while but you'll have a reserve to get you through the inevitable shortages. (And a great way to give someone a gift in a pinch)

That's what was great about the last batch I keg, or the only batch I kegged but whatever..........Anyway, after filling the Corny to about 1/2 inch under the gas tube, I still had enough left over to fill 12 bottles.

It's like Igorstien's Private Stash!!!! For my eyes only!!

IGOR

Glad to hear your beer was a hit!!:mug:

I have found the only solution is to brew bigger batches. I started off with 5, went to 10 and then went to 25 gallon batches just to keep up with demand and have a variety. I have 8 taps and it is a chore to keep them all flowing.

Well they were nice enough to leave me at least a few of each batch, so I guess that I should not camplain huh?
Me thinks that 5 gallon batches are going to be it for me, though I may brew more often. Thanks, I was glad the beer was a hit too, I was really worried that they may not turn out.

I feel your pain. The only solution is to brew often. Nothing worse than having NO HOMEBREW left. YOu need to plan ahead so you have a 2 1/2 week supply ready at any given time, taking into account special occasions as well! :drunk:

We had a party over the Memorial Day weekend.

I had 10 gallons of Pils on tap, made with 2 different yeasts for a flavor difference.

It was a constant issue of discussion, which was better.

To settle it, one of the guests, who had not had a drink in 12 years, but not an AA type, said he would judge.

The first glass he declared to be the best beer he had ever drank.

he proceeded to drink 14 more to confirm it.

Yes, 14 more.

His daughter drove him home.

Moral of the story;

Never trust a man who dosent drink. Or says he dosent.

They lie.

Cheers,

knewshound

P.S. I managed to get 4 beers out of the 10 gallons. I feel robbed.

Put the cache in boxes, upside down and dust lightly with dust. Of course, then the keg will be drained completely.

Robbw said:
I feel your pain. The only solution is to brew often. Nothing worse than having NO HOMEBREW left. YOu need to plan ahead so you have a 2 1/2 week supply ready at any given time, taking into account special occasions as well! :drunk:

Brewing more often was out of the question for me. I had to make the most of my brewing time so I built a big @$$ brewery. I take beer to about 5 events per year and we have 3 block parties per year so beer disappears quickly around here.

Brewery:
Recir5.jpg

Fermenters:
Bigfridge3.jpg

I cant wait until Im kegging. it shouldn't be that much longer. Until then Im stuck using our hall closet as my storage. Oh, and the B,M,C boxes....well they do make good carrying cases.

But it's amazing how quick these will go. Especially when friends & family come over for a visit. I really need to start brewing 10 gallons at a time

3394-Cache.jpg

Hell, I just need to brew!!
I have been so busy since my last post that I have yet to brew, man this sucks,BAD!
I am going through DT's just sitting here reading all these posts. Need to brew, NEED TO BREW, MUST BREW, hooky from work Friday sounds good, MUST BREW.....
Oh yeah work that is where I am, (Hey boss, peering over my shoulder, how long you been standing there?) why yes I am working on that project right now ( yeah right), I'll have that for ya in just a sec (just as soon as I wipe the drool from my lips and stop shaking).
Oh well, I will get to brew a few new batches while on vacation, but that isn't until vacation the 22-26 of this month:mad: .Going to get the new turkey fryer Friday, and will have to drool on it the ten minutes that I have before forcing myself to bed each night. Well at least while on vaccination, uhmm vacation yeah that's it, I will have the joy of brewing with my daughters, the wife is going to be away and it will be just me and the kids that get to enjoy.:rockin:

Enjoy

Latest posts

Back