Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visiting friends in Vienna Austria. Sitting at a sidewalk cafe. Unimpressed with their beer menu I settle for a Becks Dark. My friend remarks, how can you drink that piss? Give me a Budweiser anytime.
That appears to be the state of beers in Austria. Thank goodness for Vienna malt!

It's not that funny and I know we've all heard it, but I was offered free beer today because a coworker thought it would skunk, since it had been chilled and wasn't going to fit back in the fridge.

Why is this particular misinformation so widespread?

It's not that funny and I know we've all heard it, but I was offered free beer today because a coworker thought it would skunk, since it had been chilled and wasn't going to fit back in the fridge.

Why is this particular misinformation so widespread?

Because somebody somewhere drank a warm beer after it had been in a fridge and decided that warming a beer after it was chilled caused skunking. They didn't realize that it tasted like $hit because it was warm BMC. And by warm I mean 40 F.

Pilamman said:
Visiting friends in Vienna Austria. Sitting at a sidewalk cafe. Unimpressed with their beer menu I settle for a Becks Dark. My friend remarks, how can you drink that piss? Give me a Budweiser anytime.
That appears to be the state of beers in Austria. Thank goodness for Vienna malt!

Your friend is right about Beck's dark. Secondly, Budweiser over here usually means the actual beer from Budweis/Ceske Budjejovice, Bohemia.
Also, most sidewk cafes in Vienna do have a selection of decent beers on their menus, albeit somewhat limited. And lastly, there are several pretty good brewpubs in and around Vienna. Example: Siebensternbräu, Wiedner Bräu, 1516. Try to hit them some time.

Your friend is right about Beck's dark. Secondly, Budweiser over here usually means the actual beer from Budweis/Ceske Budjejovice, Bohemia.
Also, most sidewk cafes in Vienna do have a selection of decent beers on their menus, albeit somewhat limited. And lastly, there are several pretty good brewpubs in and around Vienna. Example: Siebensternbräu, Wiedner Bräu, 1516. Try to hit them some time.

I will say, the actual Budweiser from budweis, isn't very much better, as the US Budweiser was derived from the style.

cpl-america said:
I will say, the actual Budweiser from budweis, isn't very much better, as the US Budweiser was derived from the style.

That's one funny thing I heard about beer right there.

drchris83 said:

Well actually...., :D

That's one funny thing I heard about beer right there.

I was excited the first time I tried it, thinking it would be better than the US version. But being disappointed after trying it, I read up on the connection between bud weis and the a.h. Busch version if their beer.

SMDH.

My lieutenant always talks about Molson Brador like it's the best thing to happen to beer since it's inception.

There's a brew pub here in CT that refuses to pour their beer with any head whatsoever. I've left multiple comment cards indicating my displeasure with the lack of head on their beer. So far they're not getting it so I may send an e-mail if I go there again and it's still an issue. It would be one thing if it was a bar, but a fvcking brew pub! They should know better.

This wouldn't happen to be a bit north of you in my neck o the woods would it? I've asked him about it, the fuzzy answer had something to do with being hard to get a good head because the kitchen always puts the pint glasses through the dishwasher. He did mention too that it's somewhat of a business decision, the majority (go figure) of his customers will see a pint with a head and feel like they are getting ripped off because it's not a full pour; he's just catering to the uneducated clientele. Sucks but I guess when they are the ones paying the bills...

This wouldn't happen to be a bit north of you in my neck o the woods would it? I've asked him about it, the fuzzy answer had something to do with being hard to get a good head because the kitchen always puts the pint glasses through the dishwasher. He did mention too that it's somewhat of a business decision, the majority (go figure) of his customers will see a pint with a head and feel like they are getting ripped off because it's not a full pour; he's just catering to the uneducated clientele. Sucks but I guess when they are the ones paying the bills...

That would be the one. Maybe we can get some good head if we ask nicely. Haha!

Today while buying 2013 Utopias:

Girl at counter: Whoa, $200?!
Me: Yes.
Girl: How many are in there? (points to box).
Me: Just one.
Girl: (silence and dumbfounded look).

Can't say I blame her. It was pretty rough handing over $200 on one bottle. I know it is a different animal but it was still tough after driving three hours to buy it.

Can't say I blame her. It was pretty rough handing over $200 on one bottle. I know it is a different animal but it was still tough after driving three hours to buy it.

Ha a few months ago I got the same reaction from a $40 bottle of bourbon. I briefly summarized that the logistics alone of storing bourbon for 5-25 years and making sure that you have enough to actually sell every year in between, justifies some of the cost.

thatjonguy said:
Today while buying 2013 Utopias: Girl at counter: Whoa, $200?! Me: Yes. Girl: How many are in there? (points to box). Me: Just one. Girl: (silence and dumbfounded look). Can't say I blame her. It was pretty rough handing over $200 on one bottle. I know it is a different animal but it was still tough after driving three hours to buy it.

I got to try Utopias for free a couple years back. It was a small sample but I really want more.

That makes me want to steal the utopias yeast. :)

Derived from the style? I mean all American macro-brews are derived from the Pilsner style, but Budvar is completely different from Budweiser. It's not a crazy awesome beer, but a good drinking beer.

I don't think you are getting any yeast you would want out of a bottle of Utopias.
True, but that's more because they have been murdered before being sold. I'm wanting to steal the yeast used to get that kind of an ABV without distillation. :)

Leadgolem said:
True, but that's more because they have been murdered before being sold. I'm wanting to steal the yeast used to get that kind of an ABV without distillation. :)

I thought it was a blend of a bunch of yeasts Including champagne yeast?

Exactly. It is going to have some serious mutation issues. Maybe I will streak a plate just for fun.

Just got a bottle of Three Philosophers for half price at the grocery store. It was getting old so they put it on clearance. :D

This is great. I ran into a tobacco shop once where they did the same thing, but they had discontinued and highly sought after blends marked down for being old. I should have bought them out of everything, but I only got a few good ones.

tennesseean_87 said:
This is great. I ran into a tobacco shop once where they did the same thing, but they had discontinued and highly sought after blends marked down for being old. I should have bought them out of everything, but I only got a few good ones.

I did not know tobacco aged well. That's interesting. I guess this is only true if the tobacco is well maintained like in a humidor?

Just got a bottle of Three Philosophers for half price at the grocery store. It was getting old so they put it on clearance. :D

Last year I got a bottle of Saison Pipaix that was bottled in '93 like that from an interesting ethnic market :D It was very interesting. And yummy.

I conned SWMBO into taking pictures of wild yeast cultures today while I was working on something else. I hear her say (in a very annoyed way) "well this one is boring!" Apparently there was one that didn't have a big pelecule on it.

image-1973806255.jpg

I went to my step moms birthday yesterday and I was told to bring beer, so I did. Well, everyone was excited for my uncle to try it cause he is all about craft beer. He told me that he doesn't drink micro brew, so he won't touch it. ? No one in my family drank it. My moms friends did and they loved it. Out of no where my family is too good for beer. Since when? I'm more mad about how rude they all were then it being funny. But I have to laugh, because since when doesn't my family drink? That's all I have ever seen them do is drink beer! And they are all about being crafty, so isn't home brew their dream? Oh well, more for me.

I went to my step moms birthday yesterday and I was told to bring beer, so I did. Well, everyone was excited for my uncle to try it cause he is all about craft beer. He told me that he doesn't drink micro brew, so he won't touch it. ? No one in my family drank it. My moms friends did and they loved it. Out of no where my family is too good for beer. Since when? I'm more mad about how rude they all were then it being funny. But I have to laugh, because since when doesn't my family drink? That's all I have ever seen them do is drink beer! And they are all about being crafty, so isn't home brew their dream? Oh well, more for me.

That's a bit of a jerk move for them to ask you to bring it knowing they wouldn't be having any.

They have always been conceded and unappreciative. I just won't share with them anymore. (Which now I have to figure out other Christmas ideas. They were all going to get home brew). I will just get to have a beer tasting with my friends.

They have always been conceded and unappreciative. I just won't share with them anymore. (Which now I have to figure out other Christmas ideas. They were all going to get home brew). I will just get to have a beer tasting with my friends.

NO! you give them homebrew you'll have something to drink then without having to bring any extra;):D

geek_chaser said:

You need to give them each a 24oz Steel Reserve for Christmas. Don't waste your brew on people who don't appreciate a good thing. A guy I work with used to be stuck on miller mgd. One day he was talking about trying other beers. I was excited, but then Amstel light is as far as he went. I told him it was a fine beer, better than what he was drinking, and that he should continue his journey. Nope. Stuck on Amstel like a crack addict. Doesn't like or want to try anything else. He tried a Sam Adams Oktoberfest, and hated it. Then he says I should bring in some of mine for him to try. Never gonna happen. Don't throw your pearls to swine.

Latest posts

Back