What kind of bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
What kind/color of wine bottles go with what type of wines?

Is there a general rule of thumb? Like whites use clear, reds use green? Or does make any difference for storage?

Thanks

I had a wine-delivery job at a warehouse/distributor for about 2 years, ten years ago. From my memory, I can only recall seeing Rosè and Blush wines (and the cheap-o stuff) in clear glass. Everything else was in green.

Is that tradition or is green better for longer term storage?

BTW....my wines are cheap-o stuff!!!:)

Is that tradition or is green better for longer term storage?

BTW....my wines are cheap-o stuff!!!:)

I would never DARE to compare someone's home-made wine to MD 20/20 or Boone's Farm.

Unless that is what they meant to make.

:)

I bottle my whites and lighter colored wines, including skeeter pee in clear, just because I like to show off how clear they are (they are stored in a basement celler so light is not a factor) my reds all go in green, That is just my preference.

I use green only so far. The future may see blue, but not now.

I try and use the Bordeaux bottles for grape wines and then the fruits I put on the shoulders green bottles. However, I will say bottling solo is easier with those shoulders as markers.

I do this is strictly so I can grab and go, knowing the style bottles I use gives me an idea of what I am reaching for in my cupboard. lol I know soooo scientific right.

My other issue is, I don't want to spend extra dollars on the blue bottles; I rather spend it on fruits and other ingredients.

I use all sorts of bottles- the long blue bottles (liebfraumilch?) are so pretty.

I love to put my blackberry wine in clear bottles, as it just looks great. But I have a large wine cellar where it is cool and dark, so it doesn't matter if my bottles are colored or clear.

I have a big mix of bottles of all shapes and colors- brown non-punted bottles, charddonay style green bottle shapes, tall blue ones, punted green ones, and lots and lots of clear ones. I don't go with a traditional bottle with certain wines very often, but when I bottle a nice wine, I try to sort of match the bottle with the wine just because that's what is expected.

Normally, chardonnay goes in those slanted side bottles by tradition. And in a green one, but other whites usually go in clear bottles. And most reds are in "regular" green bottles. But unless your friends are wine snobs, they won't know which is correct, either!

Awesome take. I have a closet that is dedicated to my new found love of wine making. I have just now started to collect various bottles. In the spring I have a large mulberry tree I plan to make lots of wine with and a neighbors loquat tree. So we are a bit bottle challenged still here.

Latest posts

Back