Whirlfloc gluten free and Coeliac safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As thread title suggests, I'd like to know if whirlfoc is gluten free and coeliac safe. Anybody know? Carageenan is cool for coeliac sufferers, right? It's the adjuncts in the whirlfoc that worry me.

Thanks in advance!

Use whirlfloc regularly, no issues at all. If you are concerned though, you can always email the manufacturer.

I contacted Kerry Bio-Science on this back on Jan 20th asking:

I am writing to ask if Whirlfloc is a gluten free product. I understand that its ingredients are Irish Moss, Sodium bicarbonate and Carrageenan. Do any if its ingredients contain gluten, or are there any possibilities of cross contamination with gluten during processing?

On Jan. 27th they responded with this:

Thanks for the note.
Please contact our distributor: Brewer's Supply Group. They can easily assist with any questions you have.

Enjoy the day!/Bonne fin de journee!

I haven't tried contacting Brewer's Supply Group. It's my personal policy to only accept responses from product manufacturers as I'm not confident in the response of a distributor to accurately reflect the current processes of the manufacturer. Since Kerry Bio-Science wouldn't provide an answer, I'll stick with Irish Moss for my GF brews.

Latest posts

Back