my wife is ruining me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so, she's exactly what you need in a spouse? that sounds like a good relationship to me. we need someone to balance us out, not enable our jerk natures.

plus, don't waste the energy hating the mass produced junk. people want crap, let em have it. more tasty beer for us.

i love it when people put their first post in sections other than DRMM, though it's a classic example of said genre.

Yeah, I was thinking to myself "nice first post."

To the OP, just lighten up. We all like craft beer. That doesn't mean we have to tear down the big guys. I love all types of craft beer. In fact one of my favorite things is to find a new beer that I haven't yet experienced. At this very moment I'm enjoying a Westmalle tripel. But guess what I would do if someone handed me a Bud?? I would drink it.

I don't buy products from the big 3 because they have enough support already, not to mention there's little that they offer that I actually enjoy, but to each their own. If I'm at a social gathering and the only thing to drink is a light American lager, then so be it. I won't likely let out a sigh and proclaim how good it tastes, but I'll appreciate that I have a cold beer to sip on while chatting with chums.

I'd recommend taking a deep breath, and start coming up with a mantra along the lines of "trivial crap shouldn't piss me off".

+1 on lighten up. Drinking an occasional BMC only reminds one that there is much better out there. It is like having the occasional McDonalds, even though you could drive a little further for a well crafted, 100% beef hamburger with avocado. Sometimes remembering why McDonalds sucks also makes you appreciate the avocado burger more.

My ex had a Honda Civic and I loved driving it or riding in it because it made my Subaru feel even faster.

A sip of a BMC brew shall do the same for your beloved craft brew. I'll gladly call myself a beer snob, but u don't act like a beer tool if others are drinking something I don't like.

Lol...this is why I love hbt...well..first of all..this may be my first post, but I'm definately not brand new to the craft scene..and second, what "irks" me is that my wife is on board with me and my anti bmc monopoly, but then at a gathering its like all her "morals" go out the door so I dunno what to think.

I'm NOT forcing my opinions on others..altho I do make it perfectly clear to ppl why I don't drink bmc..but I don't "make" others not drink it...so that comment is completely rediculous....I dunno...just confused I guess by my wifes "fakeness.".

And for those that would drink a bmc if it was the only thing offered, I commend you, and appreciate your honesty and humbleness...but I also say shame on you. It is good to be reminded why we do what we do, but at the same time, you are supporting the "enemy" and tbherefore a hypocrite...

I drink BMC because it's cheap and it makes me feel funny. The more crap beer you drink the more you appreciate a good craft beer.

I suppose you skip the coke and pepsi in favor of RC cola too.

i drink what tastes good. the company that makes it is always out to get more money. some are run by some great folks, some are run by d-bags. in the end, it's all about the beer. i don't drink crappy beer, but i do on occasion get cheap beer (pbr, schlitz)

One thing that I feel is forgotten sometimes is the subjectivity of beer taste. I for one can't stand to drink Stella. Doesn't mean it's a crappy beer, but just that it doesn't suit my fancy. I love a great Dunkel, but my beer drinking/brewing buddy wouldn't use it to water his plants. It's very possible that your wife just likes those beers and since (from the sounds of it) these are contraband in your household the only time she gets it is outside your home. Hell I can't even get my wife to drink beer in general, so if she drank AB anything I would do an Irish jig. Maybe she is rebelling against your strong view points simply because she finds you are jamming your ideologies down her throat. Doesn't mean your ideologies are wrong, but maybe you are smuggling her with them. Either way, if she is faithful and loving the last thing you should worry about is a couple bud-lights next to your home brew.

I will drink pbr if I need a cheap beer, but I choose pbr because they are not owned by bmc...

Rc cola is good...but then again, I'm not a soda advocate, so I could honestly give a ****

Mcdonalds is a good fix for a hangover food, and I would much rather eat a steak, but again, I'm not in the fast food industry, so again, I could give a ****...

I'm in to a revolution of promoting good beer to the american people as a whole, so if I drink crap beer, and people see me or mine supporting it, I'm a hypocrite...I'm in to a revolution of teaching people that "beer" isn't just bmc..which is what most ppl think
I can't tell u guys how many times I get into conversations about this very subject because the american ppl as a whole are so ignorant.

I thought I would have support from a place like hbt for my ideas and my beliefs, but apparently, most people would just rather get drunk, and its sad to say, that even here people aren't dedicated to the cause..shame on you

Lol...this is why I love hbt...well..first of all..this may be my first post, but I'm definately not brand new to the craft scene..and second, what "irks" me is that my wife is on board with me and my anti bmc monopoly, but then at a gathering its like all her "morals" go out the door so I dunno what to think.

I'm NOT forcing my opinions on others..altho I do make it perfectly clear to ppl why I don't drink bmc..but I don't "make" others not drink it...so that comment is completely rediculous....I dunno...just confused I guess by my wifes "fakeness.".

And for those that would drink a bmc if it was the only thing offered, I commend you, and appreciate your honesty and humbleness...but I also say shame on you. It is good to be reminded why we do what we do, but at the same time, you are supporting the "enemy" and tbherefore a hypocrite...

You don't invited many places without her do you?

If I was having a party and someone politely declined something I was offering, that's perfectly fine. But if I am having a party and someone lectures me about how my offerings are immoral and then refuses to even appreciate I was merely offering something to them for free with n commitment needed... I would ask them to leave.

Next time (assuming they are nicer than me and you're invited back) I would politely decline and keep your trap shut.

Your wife must be seriously cool as hell if you keep getting invited back to places when you act like that.

And my whole issue I was starting tbis thread off with my wife is that she is a beer advocate just like me...and she enjoys homebrewing, and she hates bmc...and she's a card carrying member of the aha just like me...she just isn't AS dedicated as I am...I guess I was jw if there were others in my situation...but, based off of ur comments, I'm the only one that TRUELY hates bmc...

First you come on here and spout your bull****. Calm down and have a brew. Also, learn to spell if your gonna go around preaching the good word about "craft brew". You do just as much harm as you do good by denouncing BMC. So she likes a BMC every once and a while, if your that "irked" by it, don't date her. Your the hypocrite here don't come here saying shame on us, and we are wrong for drinking a BMC beer every once and a while. That is RIDICULOUS. notice how that is spelled? Honestly, your a snob.

I do politely decline, and I do keep my "trap" shut...I'm a firm believer of to each their own...

But if someone asks me why I won't drink their piss beer, well, then I tell them.

I'm sorry I'm typing from my phone and mispell a few words...but that's what u concentrate on...REALLY? I hate being the "stickler"..just really bugs me tho

I will drink pbr if I need a cheap beer, but I choose pbr because they are not owned by bmc...
you

pretty sure that they are now.

Mcdonalds is a good fix for a hangover food, and I would much rather eat a steak, but again, I'm not in the fast food industry, so again, I could give a ****...
you

won't eat it, because it tastes like crap.

I thought I would have support from a place like hbt for my ideas and my beliefs, but apparently, most people would just rather get drunk, and its sad to say, that even here people aren't dedicated to the cause..shame on you

definitely not the case here. i'd take one tasty beer over a dozen crappy ones any time. there are a lot of people here that downright hate the corporate beer world, but there are just as many who just the beers for what they are. just because an evil empire produced it, doesn't mean the beer is inherently bad. let the beer speak for itself.

I can't tell u guys how many times I get into conversations about this very subject because the american ppl as a whole are so ignorant.

i bet you were too, at some point. it's not about saving people from the big bad breweries. it's about giving people choices. there are great brewers on this site that love a classic pilsner. it's their favorite beer. they have tasted nearly every style out there, yet go back to the same one that the big three rely upon. does that mean they've sold out to the man? of course not. they just know what they like. most people don't know anything outside the fizzy yellow stuff. given a chance, they might love a good stout or double ipa, but going beer snob on them is not the way to convert them into craft beer lovers. take the gentle sloping path, not the rockslide. homebrewers should be patient above all else.

Does it not bug you guys that shows like brewmasters get cut off the air because bmc threaten discovery channel with stopping their endorsements? Maybe I just need to stfu and get over it, but then I feel like I'm just giving up and letting "the man" win...

Yeah, it's annoying as hell but that's big business. I don't endorse BMC but to say that you refuse to drink it and it bugs you if your girl drinks it seems silly. Hell your from San Diego we have amazing craft brews here and people still reach for BMC. Many of my friends used to only drink BMC around them, but I have converted them to liking things like Scuplin, Port Brewing, and Stone. I just don't think lecturing someone about the 'bad' things BMC might be doing is going to convert more people just annoy those who drink it and even those who don't. Sorry about the spelling **** I was being a dick, ill admit to that.

Well said Zwolle...I guess I just have a hard time accepting the bmc genre..especially in a place like here...I understand everyones opinions, I guess I'm just hardheaded....I'm about to pour myself a ruination ipa...cheers...and thanks for letting me vent...

Does it not bug you guys that shows like brewmasters get cut off the air because bmc threaten discovery channel with stopping their endorsements? Maybe I just need to stfu and get over it, but then I feel like I'm just giving up and letting "the man" win...

rage against the machine. all day.

but pick your battles. BMC will always be around, because that's what people want. Lighter body, lighter flavor. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that people are wrong for liking it.

It's part of why we homebrew. we refuse to accept that one beer is the only choice. we're different than most people. some will never get it, some just need to be brought around. just don't get upset when you run into the folks that will never understand. they're good people too.

Btw pbr isn't owned by bmc...least not that I know of...and I can't find anything saying it is...so, if you gotta drink a fizzy, drink pbr!

I understand how you might be frustrated that your wife acts one way around you and another when she is In a crowd, but she's just trying to be polite to the hosts of the party. Give her a break, or maybe even take a lesson from her. It's one thing to have your convictions. It's something completely different to offend someone that is trying to host a party and make sure that people are having a good time.

And I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I would much rather grab a good APA than a bud light, but at a certain point you just have to go with the flow and be polite.

Well said Zwolle...I guess I just have a hard time accepting the bmc genre..especially in a place like here...I understand everyones opinions, I guess I'm just hardheaded....I'm about to pour myself a ruination ipa...cheers...and thanks for letting me vent...

The basic ideology that most of us have accepted here is to not limit yourself based on presuppositions. We'll try something that looks as crazy as this before we decide if we like it or not:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/index11.html

:mug:

Hah right, I should do a sour art gallery exhibit.. I bet I could make some dough off people just having different lambics and sours fermenting.

Hah right, I should do a sour art gallery exhibit.. I bet I could make some dough off people just having different lambics and sours fermenting.

sour pron. i'd pay a few bucks to tour a gallery, providing there would be a tasting at the end!

Well, don't you think there would have to be. Now if only I can get RR to sponser this event.. Ahh a craft/home brewers dream

Well, don't you think there would have to be. Now if only I can get RR to sponser this event.. Ahh a craft/home brewers dream

might i suggest my zip code for the location? drop vinnie a line and see what he says.

Back