My next brew idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_GFH

Reaction score
Since I'm really new to all this I wanted to try different styles before going full grain and cooking.

So I'm considering Coopers Dark Ale can, but I want to use 3lbs of DME instead of their "brew enhancer", and possibly some honey.

Any advice?

I don't know what the brew enhancer is, so I won't be much help in figuring out a conversion, but if you're new, I would stay pretty faithful to recipes and concentrate on process (cleanliness, sanitization, measurements, timing, notes, etc.) over formulation.

But that may just be me...

I think there is a time and a place to follow the instructions to a T, but it is fun to experiment. On my second brew I split the batch and did half over fresh peaches. Just make sure and do plenty of research and reading before doing anything to crazy. I'm not sure about the coopers kits so I don't have any specific advice other than If you are gonna venture away from the instructions to do your homework first....which is what you are doing asking this question on HBT.

I agree with EarlyBird... it's your beer. Do your research and brew it the way you want to.

Well their brew "enhancer" is proabably just corn sugar wich will lighten the body and add more alcohol.How much is it 1#.? I wouldnt add too much dme and honey.Thinking it is one pound of enhancer i would use 1.5# dme and some honey.People swear by adding good quality honey by adding it under 100 degrees.If its cheap honey probably just throw it into the boil. I have added it last 10 min but also used a modest amount.I do want to try it witout pasterizing it to see the effect,now i think about it i may throw it in my next wheat beer this way maybe dryhopp it.
Use steeping grains for a style you want to get and find out how much of each grain to use.

Well reccomend me a good recipe for this brew, using the dme coopers can and honey

Here's what I think im going to do, one can of Coopers dark ale, 1 kg of DME, 1 kg of natural honey. I think this will be a good beginners test.

I've been using coopers amber lme 3.3lbs as a base and muntuns dme 3lbs ( light, amber, dark ) whatever you prefer and 1lbs of specialty grains steeped for colour and flavour. Hops and amounts depending on your tastes. Making some fine tasting brews around 5% abv

Back