Lager Yeast at Ale Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graphicgeek80

Reaction score
I brewed Austin Homebrew Supply's AHS American Bock - Extract (#01875) on Saturday. I bought this kit when trying to rush order some needed equipment. It is now kicking out a nasty sulfur smell.

I think this is from a rookie mistake. While rush ordering the kit I ordered the White Labs German Lager 830 yeast. I have no way to lager this beer and it is fermenting at room temperature. Since this is obviously fermenting I am not going to worry to much and yes I am going to relax and have a home brew...

But I was wondering if this would cause any off flavors. I tried to check around for the info but came up blank. So I thought I'd tap everyones collective brain. Thanks.

Some lager yeasts tend to make sulfurous smells. I don't know about this particular yeast, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that this will pass.

You will still get beer, so don't worry about that. It will not taste exactly like a bock because the yeast will not be in its happy place. I imagine it could still be good, though--if the kit's a good one, no worries. That's the great thing about brewing--you may not make the beer you planned on, but you still make beer.

I'd make sure this beer sat for a longer than usual period to make sure the lager yeast did their business, and check your gravity to make sure it's done. Get it as cool as you can; some people put wet towels over their carboys to evaporatively cool them. Or, you could get a kiddie pool and fill it with ice and water (and a cover) to provide some chilling. Or, move your groceries out and lager in your kitchen fridge :)

If you want to make lager-ish beers but can't ferment cool, there are yeasts out there that will get you more of what you want. A steam beer yeast (Wyeast 2112) is a hybrid that normally you let ferment at coolish ale temps. The Wyeast 1056 (it has other names; safale-56, I think) also supposedly does alright as either a lager or ale yeast, and Charlie Papazian's Cry Havoc can be used for either as well.

Finally, if you want a bock-ish beer that ferments at ale temperatures, consider a scottish or scotch ale. You could even switch the hop loadout to some more traditional German hops if you like.

Another lager yeast that can be fermented up to 65degF is WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast. I have used this in the past with pretty happy results.

Well it's not going to taste like a lager, but it will definitely be beer. Scotty_G said everything else I was going to say.

Thanks guys, thats what I thought.

It has been moved to the basement, but the temp range still isn't in the lager range (upper 60's). I'll try to remember to post back the taste results in a couple weeks in case anyone else makes the same rookie mistake. (I'll even try to pick up a micro in the same style to compare against.)

The strange thing is that the instructions tell you how to ferment at room temperature. And the kit doesn't have a option for a non-lager yeast. So maybe it will come out just fine.

That yeast will produce a lot of sulphur smells even when fermented at normal lager fermenting temps.

You MAY experience a higher concentration of fussel alcohols from the higher than recommended fermenting temperture for that yeast along with some esters.

Back