New Guy with Wine Farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samurai1833

Reaction score
Hey Y'all! I'm Rob G. one of the new Brewsy converts. I bought the kit for a Christmas present to myself and tried last week to make it happen. Clearly I rushed the process. I was listening to the commercial rather than the seasoned pros I found on youtube. I didn't have enough sugar on hand so I added Margarita mix (its sweet right?) So I could tell that the yeast wasn't yeasting like it probably should. I'm guessing the stabilizers in the mix slowed their growth. So I've bought real sugar to try again.

But in the meantime I racked what I had (1 week old) with my shiny new siphon and put it in the fridge. It's an over sweetened grape juice with a some effervescence. Not terrible, but not wine. I've been wondering why I've been farting like a thoroughbred the last few days a few minutes ago it dawned on me that live yeast was probably the cause and I jumped on the interwebs to find you guys talking about it and laughed myself silly.

Rookie mistakes can be fun! I'm glad I work from home. Anyway, I'm going to repurpose this batch into a nice grape/wine sorbet and try again. I've always wanted to home brew and Brewsy was a cheap entry point, I've already upgraded and ordered a conical fermenter, 8 glass gallon jugs and new yeast packets but I'm over my intimidation about producing a poison that will kill me and just having fun. Cheers from Florida! I'll let you know how my next batch turns out!

Back