Yes, an infection thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I know RDWHAHB, Well not out of this batch I won't. Let me know what you think. This is a partial mash of DeathBrewers Cream Ale. Would oxigenation during primary to secondary transfer do this? Notice the 1/2 in - 1 in section of black at the top. DOn't know how much you can tell in these pics.

BadBrew010.jpg

BadBrew011.jpg

I'm going to dump this batch but am curious as to if it was from Sanitation, bacteria, Wild Yeast, or the fact that I pitched into 95+* wort. ( know this was dumb, but the hecticness of my first PM tookover and before I realized what I was doing it was too late) :mad:

have you tasted some before dumping it? It could just be that the darker material weighs less than the lighter material and thus float to the top. It does not look like any infection anyone here has ever posted. Pitching your yeast too hot can decrease cell count for the yeast which gives bacteria more of a chance to grow before the yeast gets to the wort but won't actually increase the amount of bacteria. Never dump a beer without trying it and never dump a beer unless it's completely undrinkable. A lot of off tastes will disappear with age and it's virtually impossible to get sick from beer so it's worth trying some even if you think it's infected.

oh, and I forgot to mention, whenever you transfer beer there is a risk of infection, if you keep your equipment sanitized though nothing should go wrong. When beer is already fermented is when it's least likely to get infected.

What makes you think it's infected?

And what do you have to lose by waiting to see how it turns out? That carboy was going to be occupied anyway .....

Dude, you were right earlier about the black band....

Can you get an angle looking sort of down onto the surface?

The little bit that is visible on top of the band in the first pic does kinda look like a brett pellicule...sort of, but it is hard to tell.....I wouldn't dump it though, I'd let it run it's course...

But it could also be that it is darker because the last inch of the beer is just where the curve starts to form for the top of the carboy....it could just be the lighting....you know how beer looks darker in a carboy than when it is in a glass....well since it's curving there it might just look like a band....

hmmmmm

Does it move when you bump the carboy, like an inch of oil would on the surface of water???

I see absolutely no reason to dump that beer! That one line of white you are talking about on top of the beer I think is nothing to worry about. Most likely just some yeast gathering at the top. My secondaries look like that lots. I surely wouldn't throw it out without tasting it! I think it is all good still!

I think your beer is starting to "drop clear." If the black section "grows" over the next few days, it's an optical illusion. The lighter colored portion toward the bottom still contains yeast that is settling, while the darker portion at the top is fairly clear beer.

PLEASE DON'T DUMP YOUR BEER!

That's perfectly normal for clearing beer. Don't dump it. Unless it tastes like Satan's anus when you rack it for bottling, you will be thoroughly mocked for dumping perfectly good beer.

well holly hell. I won't dump I guess. It just looked gross to me. It has been sitting in secondary for a while now (3-4 weeks) I've just not gotten around to bottling and didn't really know if I wanted to. Been meaning to post these pics for some time. I guess I'll go ahead and try and bottle it this week and see what happens. It's just as easy to dump out of bottles I guess. I'll take a sample tonight and taste it before I sanitize my bottles. Thanks all. Now I am a beer dump thread noob. I thought i really had one here!

EvilTOJ said:
That's perfectly normal for clearing beer. Don't dump it. Unless it tastes like Satan's anus when you rack it for bottling, you will be thoroughly mocked for dumping perfectly good beer.

:off: I just wanted to be involved in a topic that contained the phrase "Satan's anus" :off:

what does RDWHAHB mean?

i assume the last pasrt is Have a Home Brew? but i don tknow the rest.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew

And that's just what I did last night while prepping my bottles for tonight. Gonna have to use table sugar. How much should I alter the amount?

IrregularPulse said:
Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew

And that's just what I did last night while prepping my bottles for tonight. Gonna have to use table sugar. How much should I alter the amount?

Shhh.....You're supposed to let people who ask that question google it for themselves :D Don't you dare tell the n00b what SWMBO is....

Besides it's "Real Ducks Wait Hoping Anxious Hunters Balk!"

Oh for the table sugar amount, you can use the tastybrew calculator, it gives results for Cornsugar, Table Sugar and Dme....

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Revvy said:
Shhh.....You're supposed to let people who ask that question google it for themselves :D Don't you dare tell the n00b what SWMBO is....

Oh for the table sugar amount, you can use the tastybrew calculator, it gives results for Cornsugar, Table Sugar and Dme....

I know SWMBO :)

But do you know EAC? ;)

Infections will be obvious. It will look like something is growing in there, not just a change of color for the most part and it will smell and taste sour usually.

EvilTOJ said:
How would you know what Satan's anus tastes like???

I'd love to know what EAC stands for. But I understand that is a $20 secret. I've never paid for a forum, but am very quickly breaking down and will probably buy one this month. Hell the sticker would be worth the 20 bones.

IrregularPulse said:
I'd love to know what EAC stands for. But I understand that is a $20 secret. I've never paid for a forum, but am very quickly breaking down and will probably buy one this month. Hell the sticker would be worth the 20 bones.

You don't have to spend $20 to find out. I still won't tell you! :D

But, search is your friend. Seek and you shall find. Of course, it helps if you know what you are searching for. But even searching for EAC will be rewarding if you look at the search results. I can't tell you- it's a path you must walk alone. I'm way too elitist to say.

Trust me, searching for what EAC stands for is not going to give you answers. I got lucky enough to stumble across a thread regarding a certain t-shirt that didn't spell it out for me, but I was able to figure it out from what it said. :D

What I want is to read the thread that started it all.

As to the topic... that is a very strange looking layer. I don't think that's the beer clearing. It could be mold, I suppose. I'm really hoping someone who has had this happen before will chime in.

oh, btw...let your wort get to below 80F before pitching. for the cream ale, i'd get it down below 70F...start nearer to where it's going to be working.

that will NOT cause an infection, however, and is not the problem with your beer. your beer has no problem.

let me know how it tastes at bottling.

DeathBrewer said:
oh, btw...let your wort get to below 80F before pitching. for the cream ale, i'd get it down below 70F...start nearer to where it's going to be working.

that will NOT cause an infection, however, and is not the problem with your beer. your beer has no problem.

let me know how it tastes at bottling.

I know I screwed up big on the hot pitching. I never did this with my first two extract batches. Just had the top off water too hot cause it cooled too much. I over compensated...ALOT. Live and learn.

I will not dump. I got my bottles in the oven from baking them last night, All i gotta do when I get home is sanitize and rack to bottling bucket, get bottles out of oven, and bottle. I hope it's still good. i will of course taste before bottling all 50 some bottles and capping them. if it turns out horrible, rinse bucket, and bottle the apfelwein. Either way i get something tasty into bottles tonight.

i'm sure it will be fine.

in the future, if your wort is too cold, i would go ahead and pitch and let it rise to room temperature...i'd rather start with 55F wort then 85F wort, especially for a cream ale ;) you can always swirl it a bit to rouse the yeast once your temp is up.

what temp did you ferment at?

Revvy said:

I was trying to find the website for the LHBS for a long time until I realized what it stood for. I was wondering why everyone seemed to be shopping at the LHBS not realizing that I've actually shopped there before.

moger777 said:
I was trying to find the website for the LHBS for a long time until I realized what it stood for. I was wondering why everyone seemed to be shopping at the LHBS not realizing that I've actually shopped there before.

Yeah.....I was googling EAC for the longest time and coming up with;

Election Assistance Commission, Eastern Arizona College, Education Assistance Corp, etc....I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that had to do with brewing...:D

^^^ Thats all I kept finding. And then searching it here all i get is "Not enough characters to search"

I botteled this last night. Tasted great at bottling. It turns out it was just an illusion. Right where the carboty started curving up, there was also a rib in the glass creating the illusion. Thanks all. I've just never done a beer this lite before. I was actaully very surprised how light it came out. PM with Late Extraction DME.

IrregularPulse said:
I botteled this last night. Tasted great at bottling. It turns out it was just an illusion. Right where the carboty started curving up, there was also a rib in the glass creating the illusion. Thanks all. I've just never done a beer this lite before. I was actaully very surprised how light it came out. PM with Late Extraction DME.

I called it!!! That was my initial thought, the light hitting the curve of the carboy.

*SCORE*

Glad it turned out!

Heh, cool I'm signaturified and caused death and dismemberment to various keyboards and monitors because of this thread. Thank you thank you very much.

txbrew mails out the stickers in batches every few months. It took 4 months but I got mine. There's a thread about it.

Latest posts

Back