Under Primed bottles with only 1/4 cup of DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrieve

Reaction score
Its been 2 days since i bottled 5 gallons of my ipa. I decided to try using dme to prime with. Instead of using the normal 1 1/4 cups of dme, i only used 1/4 cup. Anybody have any thoughts on this? will i get some carbonation? or should i risk opening and adding some priming tablets? First beer on my new keggle system and i screw it up at the priming stage!!!!!! :confused:

Thanks for the info. i figured it was not going to be enough but i didnt want to fix something if it wasnt broken. On my way to get some priming tabs!!!!

How much should he have used to prime 5 gallons worth of bottles. 1 full cup or go with the cup and 1/4???? And does the type of DME really make a hugh difference???

I should have used 1 1/4 cups of DME. That is what is recommended for 5 gallons. As far as type of DME..... I use light DME and i think thats what others do to. It imparts little to no taste to the finished beer. Using a dark or amber DME may add more flavor. Not a bad thing for certain styles.

Latest posts

Back