Clean Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstnate

Reaction score
Will fermenting at cooler temps for a given strain say 001 or 002 possibly ferment so clean you could tast the water or the mineral in the water? Possibly causing a harshness at the back of the throat?

I would doubt that water or hard water would cause a 'harshness' in the back of your throat, likely something else. If it was so clean that you tasted the water, I doubt that you would have beer. Are we talking about mineral/metallic flavors? If so, it could indeed be water, old hops, equipment/process. Tannins from too much sparging could also cause a harsh taste, I suppose.

I would doubt that water or hard water would cause a 'harshness' in the back of your throat, likely something else. If it was so clean that you tasted the water, I doubt that you would have beer. Are we talking about mineral/metallic flavors? If so, it could indeed be water, old hops, equipment/process. Tannins from too much sparging could also cause a harsh taste, I suppose.

I don't get a husky taste at all. Maybe mineral, it just leaves the back of your throat dry after a drink.

Ferment too hot and you can get a harsh alcohol taste.

Old tinned LME can give a metallic taste.

Yes, if you have a distinct taste in your water, it may very well carry through to the finished product. If the taste is from something that the yeast don't react with, it will not change.

Using ro water with a small amount of salts. My ferment was very clean no hot alcohol

You will probably have to list your recipe and salts added plus your fermentation temps for us to give you better feedback.

OG 1.048 FG 1.008, 5.5gal
7.75lb 2 row
1.5lb munich
.5lb carapils

7g fuggle 90
7g chinook 30
20g cascade 0
20 centennial 0

mash 145/ 155/ mashout
002 at 66f

14g gypsum
6g epsom
4g cacl
2g nacl

Well i am new to adding salt to my water profile, but when i plug your salts in it seems to me your sulfite/chloride ratio is accentuating the bitterness in the beer. Dont take this as gospel, i am very new to this. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give some advise.

What were you trying to accomplish with your salt additions? Your sulfate is extremely high and is probably causing your issue. I would start with the water primer sticky and go from there.

Back