Cider fermenting slowly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisco87

Reaction score
So I know it's a nuisance when people start a million threads...but I am new at this and I tend to be a worrier.
My cider has been going for about 2 weeks maybe 3 and I noticed today that it's barely bubbling in my airlock and in the better bottle. It is still going...just very very VERY slowly. Is that normal? Do I need to shake it up? Add more sugar?

What was your original SG? What is the SG now? what was your recipe and what yeast did you use?
Dont do anything at the moment. Its possible that you are fine and just dont have a good seal on the airlock.

It might be getting close to the end of fermentation & visible activity is just starting to taper off. Check the gravity to be certain. Regards, GF.

I checked the gravity last night and it is sitting at 1.002. I tasted it and it tastes really good. But the cider is still very cloudy with a brownish orange appearance...what do I have to do to clear that up? Just let it sit?

Just let it sit. Put it somewhere for 4 weeks and forget about it. Then in 4 weeks go look at it and be amazed at how clear it it. :D

1.002 is almost done. Now is the time to start another batch so you forget about this one for 4 weeks.

Back