quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercanman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, great forum here. I am about to brew beer for the first time and have a quick question. I have most of the equiptment I need, except a few little things like bottle caps and sanitizer, which I will pick up. I have one tiny question though. After adding the yeast to my fermenter, and before putting the fermentation lock on I attach the fermentation hose to release the excess foam. I am clear on that, but not sure what to do with the other end of the fermentation hose. In the book I'm reading (The New Complete Joy Of Home Brewing) it says to put the other end of the hose in a jar to catch the excess foam. Is this correct? Is that all I have to do for 2 or 3 days, or is there anything else I have to do during this process to keep oxygen out of the fermenter while it's releasing the foam. It seems that air will get into the fermenter during the 2 or 3 days through the end of the fermentation hose. This is my first attempt to brew my own beer, and I'm just trying to brew a basic batch of beer (nothing fancy). I just want to avoid as many mistakes as possible. I think I'm clear on everything else I'll have to do. Thanks, Beercanman:)

Yep put the hose in a bowl (full of water) It'll act as an airlock.
Don't be suprised if it doesn't release loads of foam, If you have a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon fermenter there's normally plenty of room.

Good luck and enjoy. This forums all about sharing Ideas, asking and answering questions.

Here's a good read too.
www.howtobrew.com

Awesome, thanks. I kind of figured it would be something simple like filling the jar with water. This really is a great forum, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the art of homebrewing and sharing ideas as I go along. Thanks again, Beercanman:)

some add water/sanitizer sollution to the blow-off bucket/jar. then submerg the end of the hose into that. and orfy's right. you might not get so much activity that you see foam (kraeusen) up into the blow-off tube. i've only had 2-3 batches that have had any kraeusen get up into the air lock.

so, what's the 1st brew?

Back