Orlando?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I'm a Nats fan. I was hoping they were playing the rays but no go. Might try to make my way to Miami for a Nats game some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've heard great things about NODA. That sounds amazing too. I was planning on using habanero soon in a mango IPA. If u clone that I would love to try! I've never been impressed by orlando brewing really. Everything seems average at best to me. IMHO

Have you done a mango IPA before? How much mango? When did you put it in and in what form?
Thanks!

Has anyone tried hourglass brewering over on Ronald Reagan in Longwood? I thinking about checking out soon. Hit me up if you want to have a beer.

@demus for a 5 gallon batch I'll be adding about 4-5 pounds mango soaked in vodka to sterilize. I usually do a mix of fresh and frozen, mostly fresh though. I'll freeze all of the mango, take it out, soak in vodka and let it thaw in the vodka to help infuse the vodka. Let it sit overnight in the fridge. Rack the beer on top of the mango and vodka in secondary.

@breadontap I checked it out about 2 yrs ago. I loved it and can't really say y i haven't been back but I have been trying to set a day recently. I'm usually wicked busy and my days are hectic but I would be interested in checking it out again!

I've got a buddy that is interested in going too. Maybe Thursday?

Have you considered blend up the mango after freezing to break down the cell walls further?

I did a banana puree with my banana-cocoa hefeweizen. Worked pretty good but left some chunks behind. I usually just kind of smash it now. Thursday might work. I'm actually planning on brewing that morning and then going to the ABC in Lake Mary for a beer tasting from 6-8. It's $10 and over 60 samples of beers. I think they're open til 10 but could be a far drive after all those samples. Lol! Let me know what u think!

Cool! Just keep me updated. I plan on getting to ABC right at 6. If it's lame or whatever then I'll probably move on. Like I said I think hourglass is open til 10? Not sure.

I'll be there. I've just got to find a place to eat around there. Sampling beers and visiting hour glass is probably going to require some food. Anyone know of any good non chain restraunts near there?

Ya I live about 5 min away so I kno the area. Good irish place called Liam Fitzpatricks. Mostly small chain stuff tho. Graffiti junction, friendly confines, amura, crispers, stuff like that

Cool. I went to hourglass last night. I was really surprised at how small it was. They only had three of there own beers on tap. 2 were lacking but their stout was quite nice.

Ya its wicked small. I kno they're moving soon so that could b why they only had 3. Not sure when they're moving.

I may go, how are the prices at hourglass?

Pretty reasonable. It's about $8 for a flight, and the rest depends on the abv. They generally have 5 of their own beers in tap, I went a couple of weeks ago and they only had 3. Their full glass prices are between $5-8 and they have an amazing selection of bottles varying in price from $5-30 (Cascade and Fantome were topping the list for 750ml bottles)

Just kegged my SMaSH 2-row / Mosaic pale ale. Seriously awesome! Amazing grapefruit flavors coming through with a nice balance of bitterness and alcohol warmth.

So I just found out that the World of Beer by UCF is having a Sour Fest this Saturday. I'm not a big sour fan but I'm going to check it out. Anyone in?

I would be but I work. I'm in cali now doin some breweries and it's been great. That smash sounds great btw!

Right on brother! Enjoy Cali. Catch you at the next one.

Anyone been to hourglass' new location? I'm on the northeast side of Orlando, so a bit of a drive, but the closest brewery to me afaik. I've never checked them out, but hoping they make a decent brew...

Any ideas on why FL can't turn out more quality craft breweries? Something in the water? =)

Anyone been to hourglass' new location? I'm on the northeast side of Orlando, so a bit of a drive, but the closest brewery to me afaik. I've never checked them out, but hoping they make a decent brew...

Any ideas on why FL can't turn out more quality craft breweries? Something in the water? =)

The new location is awesome, it is huge and located between 2 restaurants, both have private doors from inside the brewery, to skirt Florida's weird breweries can't sell food law. They are now up to 9 of their own beers on tap at one time, and 15 or so other beers on tap. Always keep an eye on their tap list, they try really hard to get good/rare beers in there (they just had a keg of Cantillion Fou' Foune a couple weeks ago), plus the bottle selection is ridiculous and available 'to go'.
Florida is LOADED with amazing craft breweries, it's just that none of them are near us.

Take a trip out to Tampa, only 1.5 hours away. I just went over there 2 weeks ago and was blown away by craft beer scene. I'll give you more info if you like...right now I'm ok mobile and too lazy.

It's an Orlando thing. It would seem the "mouse hunter" dominated market prefers in-Bev crap...

Orlando Brewing and their taproom is right here in downtown and they have some quality brews and the place is awesome.

I went to cask and larder a while back. It wasn't bad. Head Brewer won FL Brewer of the year a couple of years ago. Food prices are crazy high though.

I went to cask and larder a while back. It wasn't bad. Head Brewer won FL Brewer of the year a couple of years ago. Food prices are crazy high though.

If it was a couple of years ago, that brewer has opened his own place in Titusville called Playalinda Brewing. I think Cask and Larder is on their 3rd or 4th brewer in the last 3 years.

Back