Cider Recipe...will this work???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alembician

Reaction score
Ok...heres the deal. A friend of mine gave me an old keg with a hole in the side that I am now using as a fermenter. He also told me his recipe for hard apple cider and this be it:

4 1/2 gallons un-pasteurized Apple Cider
1 large bag of raisins

Thats it. So far so good but I was wondering what this is called. He called it apple jack but it definetly isn't for the simple fact that I'm not going to concentrate the alcohol. Is this an apple wine or what? Within 5 seconds of us putting it in the fermenter, it started to bubble every 2 seconds. After 2 weeks, its still going great. Atleast once every 3-4 seconds. Let me know what you think and how and what to do with it. Thanks. Peace.

Bobby

P.S. This is a 7 gallon keg so theres plenty of room for it to foam and ferment. Also, using the keg as a fermenter is working great. Its an older aluminum keg so its built sturdy and it has a 2" hole where I put an airlock. I cleaned and sanitized beforehand also. I need some ideas on how to get it out and how to condition it afterwards.

Apple cider with raisins. Some people would call it apple wine. I'd rack it off the raisins after a week. Let it sit in a secondary for a month after it stops bubbling, then rack to a keg for 6-8 months (or bottle).

a tad off topic here, but has any one tried apple juice, raisens and honey? kind of like a fruity cyser.

just wondering =)

*edit*

ahh im a muppet, just read the first post properly, ignore me =)

Latest posts

Back