Massive dryhop suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I'm doing a Pliny clone and need some suggestions on dry hopping. There are three different hops totaling 7ozs! I've read it's better to do them separately, there's no way i'm racking this 3 times. I'm also concerned about leaving the beer in a bucket for 21 days, if I go this route
Should I just put all 7 ozs in a glass carboy and let them go for 10 days or so?
If so, will I lose aroma by mixing the hops?

When I made my pliny clone I think that I decided to use a bucket for that brew due to the hops. I did 1 dry hop addition in the bucket at the end of primary fermentation, then racked into a keg and added a 2nd dry hop addition in there.

I normally use carboys (or now sanke kegs) to ferment in, but keep the buckets around for heavy dry hopped brews or if I'm going to use fruit.

If your going to do it in carboys, instead of racking you can use a bag, some weights, and string/dental floss to keep the bag so you can pull it out. It's a lot easier with pellet hops though

TORPEDO IT. March pump + water filter/ other canister packed with hops + corny keg = torpedoooooooooooo!

No, torpedo and hopback are different, torpedo is during fermentation, not right after the boil.

No, torpedo and hopback are different, torpedo is during fermentation, not right after the boil.

From what I understand torpedo is after fermentation is done and you cold crash to drop the yeast out. There was an article in a recent BYO or Zymurgy about it.

I think the article said you can do something similar at home with 3 kegs, the keg in the middle you pack with hops and purge all of them with co2. Keep pushing the beer back and forth until you get the hop character you want

Back