WT F'ing F?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
So, the wife and I rented a lake house for vacation next week. The guy that we are renting from calls and says that since his plans changed, we can have the house today instead of Saturday afternoon, and the extra ~ 3 days are free.SWEET.........waiting for other shoe to drop.......WHAM!

I tell the boss the situation, and ask if I can take Friday off too, and leave a wee early tomorrow, as long as I get my crap squared up before heading out.

Not only can I not leave early tomorrow, I cannot take Friday off. Bear in mind I am 12 years with the company, have 5 weeks vaca this year, and haven't taken a full vaca in 3 years.

Not only can I not take Friday off, he has moved our staff meeting from today to Friday afternoon since it doesn't fit in his schedule well today, so I can't even sneak out a little early on Friday. Whenever he moves a meeting to Friday, it normally goes to around 6pm.

Told the wife to head up without me and take the dogs-I'll see her on Saturday if my F'ing meeting is over by then.

LOL.....don't mean to laugh, but are you in teh military?

Sounds like something that would happen to us.

Without getting all weird--I'll just say that stuff like this happens for a reason. Let it go and enjoy your vacation once it finally does start. :D

No military- corporate America. All the rules, but I can't shoot anyone.

more exasperation than actual anger, but if I was a beer in my fridge today I would be writing my will and contacting next of kin because I am gonna be ready to go when I get home.

I can commiserate with you- that's so frustrating. The only good thing is your wife can go up early (even tomorrow!) and have things ready for you. She can read or knit or whatever so does when you're not around. And you have all next week to relax, forget about work, and drink plenty of beer. Not really a bad deal.

I only have 3 years and 8 months left before my time is my own. Not that I'm counting!

Lorena

If it's any consolation, consider the plight of my grandparents' generation, the Jews who fled Brooklyn each summer to the relative cool and calm of the Borscht Belt hotels in the Catskills.

They'd send their wives and children up there for most of the summer, but the poor schmucks had to work all the time, so they'd all caravan up there Friday nights (late, late friday), see their wives for all of a day and a half, and then all leave at 3 or 4 AM Monday morning to get back to work on time in Brooklyn.

Every weekend. All summer.

Could be worse, right?

I hear that.....actually, I have done that before too, but only once. Not so mad about working so much as the fact that the reason that I cannot get out even a little early to miss some traffic is that he needed to move our staff meeting, and by all accounts it was just to make his afternoon lighter. No meeting conflict, no nothing.

Oh well- rumor is that there is another re-org coming and I will be working for someone else soon, so who knows?

They'd send their wives and children up there for most of the summer, but the poor schmucks had to work all the time, so they'd all caravan up there Friday nights (late, late friday), see their wives for all of a day and a half, and then all leave at 3 or 4 AM Monday morning to get back to work on time in Brooklyn.
And this was bad why?

Moronic bosses like this drive me absolutely nuts. It's all about life balance and they (everyone!) needs to recognize this. Rarely is there something so urgent or compelling going on that adjustments can't be made for vacations or in this case 1.5 days off. So, a boss pisses you off because of something as ridiculous as this. Sitting in your gut is this BS feeling about him and the company. Great for productivity...

By the way, I'm a boss and have been for 10+ years. Myself and two of my guys were at a training class M-W this week. Class ends early today (1p); I take them to lunch at hooters which was right next door and get a pitcher. We finish up, I tell them to go anywhere but back to work. Measure output, not hours. I got happy employees which = productive & hard working employees which in turn makes my job easier. I work for a 4b revenue global corporation as well. They don't all think like me (idiots).

Truble - its time to put in for a nice long vacation. :rockin:

**** Truble, you doing some sort of big upgrade? I just looked at your occupation. I'm an IT Director ;).

Call in sick. He'll know what's up so you're basically flipping him the bird. I've had bosses like that and they tend to get theirs in the end. Happy employees are good employees.

If you don't call in sick, I suggest sabotage.

rdwj said:
Call in sick. He'll know what's up so you're basically flipping him the bird. I've had bosses like that and they tend to get theirs in the end. Happy employees are good employees.

If you don't call in sick, I suggest sabotage.
Better yet, when you get in to work tell him you're not feeling good then throw up in his office on his floor. Hey, at least you "tried" to put in a days work.;)

desertBrew said:
**** Truble, you doing some sort of big upgrade? I just looked at your occupation. I'm an IT Director ;).

Nothing, really. I think he is just more concerned with himself than anything else. Since I last posted to this thread, the rumors of management changes have gotten thicker, so I am thinking that he might not be completely rational now since it looks like he might be left without a seat when the music stops.

homebrewer_99 said:
Better yet, when you get in to work tell him you're not feeling good then throw up in his office on his floor. Hey, at least you "tried" to put in a days work.;)

Man, that would take some serious balls, but what a funny idea.

I never really understood hardnose bosses - especially when dealing with professionals. If a boss is good to you, then you're going to bend over backwards to make him look good in return. If the guy is a jerk, you'll stick a knife in his back the first chance you get.

I got put under him when they combined the R&D IT Group which I worked in with the Corporate IT Group. It's been 4 years of pain, but I do get paid well, and I am getting my Master's degree along with whatever other degrees I want paid for 100%, so I have been putting up with it. Hoping he is moved some place else, though. Better for him and us.

Back