Rogue Double Mocha Porter Inspired - critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I had my first rogue double mocha porter this weekend, as a result I must brew it! This recipe is just supposed to get me close...I don't have summit hops, I do have columbus...for bittering I don't think it should be an issue.

15 pounds two row
1 pound dark English crystal malt (C155)
1 pound C120
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz coffee malt
3 oz black malt
2 oz Columbus at 60
1 oz willamete at 10
1 oz willamete at FO
Mash at 155
Pacman Yeast - 4 liter starter
OG = 1.080
FG = 1.018
Ferment at 60-65 degrees
30+ SRM - a little dark for a porter

Thoughts? Suggustions?

Sorry I had to bump this up. I have scoured the internet, and there just aren't any clone attempts out there. I garnered all the information I have from their website, but I would sure like to see if anybody else has tried to clone this or has any input.

I know it is become almost cliche to like Rogue beers but this one is really, really good.

Rogue is known for using a lot of crystal, but 2 lbs of 120+ L would give more dark fruit and caramel than I taste in that beer. Otherwise it looks like a solid recipe to me. Good luck.

Rogue is known for using a lot of crystal, but 2 lbs of 120+ L would give more dark fruit and caramel than I taste in that beer. Otherwise it looks like a solid recipe to me. Good luck.

It seems like a lot to me as well, but they list no other crystal malts in their grain bill. They use 1.25# per five gallon of C120 in shakespear stout and that works out well. I ordered this one up and will brew the recipe as posted, but I think I am going to switch the hops up to use columbus for bittering up to 70IBU and then a 2 oz charge of wilamete or cascade at whirlpool.

I think it is going to be a tasty beer, but maybe not a certified clone. In about 2 months I will let you know!

Just an update, I bottled this beer last night after 11 days of fermentation at 62 degrees.

OG = 1.073 FG = 1.016 ABV = %7.45

I mashed at 155 and that did seem to keep pacman from drying this beer out too much. My samples that I tasted last night were very good, without carbonation it is tough tell but I get a lot of toffee and chocolate at this point. I am doubting that I have enough chocolate and black malt to be a clone, but it will be very , very good. I will brew this again with the following modifications in bold:

15 pounds two row
1 pound dark English crystal malt (C155)
1 pound C120
14 oz chocolate malt
8 oz coffee malt
8oz oz black malt
2 oz Columbus at 60
1 oz CASCADE at 30
1 oz willamete at FO
Mash at 155
Pacman Yeast - 4 liter starter

One thing I am learning while researching and trying to clone rogue beers is that they are VERY over the top with roasted malts and dark crystal in their stouts and porters.

However, after the initial tasting of the beer that I brewed, while not a clone, I think it is a very, very good double porter recipe

After more time in the bottle, I am going to go ahead and say that this beer is CLONED. Here is a copy of the final recipe I used...the beer is awesome. It just goes to prove my theory about rogue beers. Due to the extremely attenuative nature of pacman yeast, Rogue is able to cram tons of roasted and crystal malts into their beers and still get them to finish properly. This also explains how they can literally hop the crap out of everything and still get a balanced beer. Well done.

15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.46 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
1.00 lb Extra Dark Crystal (160.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (412.0 SRM) Grain 2.75 %
0.50 lb Coffee Malt (165.0 SRM) Grain 2.75 %
0.19 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.04 %
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] (60 min) Hops 50.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.45 %
Bitterness: 63.4 IBU
Est Color: 34.9 SRM
Pacman Yeast 4 liter starter
fermented at 62-64 degrees
Mashed at 155 degrees

The beer is great after 2 weeks primary and only a week in the bottle. I can't wait to see how good after another month or three

I did a side by side tasting today. Color was right on, head retention and color was right on. Grain bill and malt/roasty flavor was right on. The only major difference I could taste was my cascade hops versese their more spicy/herbal rogue farm revolution hops. Slight variation in aroma and flavor from a hop perspective...mine was more fruity and citrusy.......mouthfeel was identical. I think my beer was better.....thats awesome!!

Hi - This question is from a novice brewer so please forgive me if it is obvious - how much water did you use in your boiling for this recipe? I love Rogue's Double mocha porter and am looking forward to giving this a shot.

I used 24.5 quarts for the mash and 20.0 Quarts for the sparge. Six gallon batch it twas...

Back