Nub question: Time for boiling smell to dissipate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDubb

Reaction score
So I've read plenty on how lovely the brewing process can make your kitchen smell but I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some clarification.

I'm brewing for the first time at my family's summer house which is rather small. The kitchen and the living room take up one large open space on the first floor. While I love that brewery smell, the lady of the house gets headaches from it. Fortunately, she is gone most of the so my question is this: If I start boiling in the morning, say 10 or 11 am and with proper ventilation, will the wort smell be gone when she gets home around 5?

This isn't a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned but I'd like to be courteous if possible. Also, fermentation will be taking place in the garage so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks!

Sorry, It probably won't be gone. My wife complains evrytime when I make a stout for that exact reason. If you are brewing with fans and doors/windows open it will subdued, but still there.

You should be fine by then. If it's a problem, buy an outdoor burner. They are nice to have anyway.

While I love that brewery smell, the lady of the house gets headaches from it.

a dozen roses and a bottle of motrin on the counter when she gets home she will know that you care about her and get brownie points for it

It's funny how often people here say that their wife or girlfriend hate the smell of brewing. My wife loves the smell. She begs me to brew sometimes just so our house can smell like hops! I guess I picked a good one! :D

If I brew with the windows closed, it sometimes still smells the following morning. If I do it with the windows open and a fan on, there is no smell whatsoever by the time I'm done cleaning up.

I brewed my first beer indoors, i like the smell but not in the house. My wife didn't care she is a farm girl.

Get a burner and brew outdoors. I like it better, battle the elements, brew at midnight, brew in the winter when it is -15 *F!

The smell lingers for hours at my house. It's usually gone by the next day, depending on the ingredients though. And getting a burner is a great idea. Brew outside and relax. no mess to upset the others. (no mess inside anyway.)

I love the kitchen smelling like a brewery! My gal likes it to, just didn't expect it the first time she walked in the door and the house smelled of hops. heh

Yeah I doubt that it will be gone by then. My fiance hates the smell because it gives her headaches. Usually I try to start early in the morning so she gets woken up by it, which is not a good situation for me.

I live in a one bedroom apartment, so the smell is pretty pervasive during boiling. Usually the smell doesn't subside until sometime the next day, and that's after some copious venting on my part. Next time I'll try opening the windows during the boil, but it gets really hot down here in the south, so that might not be an option.

At any rate, just get her some roses and motrin as suggested earlier. This is the best course of action in my opinion.

Clean up as usual, ignore it as long as you can. Eventually, at long last, your girlfriend will dissipate.

You see what I did there? :mug:

How come "it gives me a headache" is the response for something they don't like. I think they could come up with a better excuse by now.:D

Back