Using half a packet of liquid yeast, saving the rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
Well I fit it all in the title. I'm making a small hefe batch today (1.5 gal) where I'm going to try 2 different yeast in 2 separate fermenters, .75 gallons each. I have Wyeast liquid packs for each. One is an Activator, one is a Propagator. I'm assuming I don't want to pitch a full packet into .75 gallons of beer, so how much so I use and how do I save the rest? I was thinking a starter but I'm trying to brew today. Can I just put the other half in a jar?

I would make the brew a little bigger volume wise (1/2 gallon or so)
I would then dilute it down to 1.035 and put the other half of the liquid pack in there.

I would make the brew a little bigger volume wise (1/2 gallon or so)
I would then dilute it down to 1.035 and put the other half of the liquid pack in there.

Hey I'm not sure what you mean. The brew is 1.5 gallons base hefe. I'm gonna split it after the boil and put each half ~3/4 gallon into 1 gallons glass jugs and use a different strain on each half.

Make it so you have an extra few qts of wort to water down for a starter, pitch the rest of the yeast pack in that starter.
When it finishes up you should have pretty close to enough for a full batch

Back