I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my neighbors think I'm an idiot. First I have to explain to them that all the steaming pots aren't meth. Then I have to give them beers, which they probably dont appreciate anyway. Now, I was waved and honked at, I think I even saw someone point and chuckle, this morning as I washed my car in the rain.
Years ago I had a neighbor, and old Mexican man, who would wash his car on the same day of the week, no matter what. One day I questioned him about, and he pointed out that a dirty car is a dirty car whether or not its raining. Since that day I haven't let the rain stop me from washing my car, and am actually inclined to wash in the rain. If its been raining all night and I get home from work all of the dirt and bugs are soft and wash away very easily. I don't have to dry it either.

I visited Alaska (Kodiak Island) in June of 2009. It was great for a fishing vacation with my Army buddies, but I knew immediately that I could never live there. I'm looking to move someplace slower than where I live now, but that was far too dead for me. I'd end up in a nuthouse or jail within months!

My wife has been here since 1984, moved up with her family as a teenager. They lived out in Bethel for about 9yrs. Bethel is said with a smirk because many alaskans consider it to be the Armpit of AK. We liked it out there though because it was slower and everything in the villages is done in seasons, mostly After Winter, July, Before Winter and Winter.
She is ready to go someplace with 4 real seasons and we don't necessarily have to fly, boat/barge or drive for a day to visit.

BobbiLynn said:
Doing a corn flake mini mash(BIAB) on the stovetop, gonna add it to the mix. I got 2-row, rice, grits and now cornflakes going in, won't be more than 20%. Should be interesting. I didn't really spend the bill money on supplies, we got plenty in savings we can take out if needed, hubby says don't touch it. I want to touch it!! Must have supplies!!!

Touch it Bobbi... ;)

Touch it Bobbi... ;)

'Cause what the hell we saving it for? A rainy day? It's raining!!!! Saving it for a massive shipment of grain and hops!! Whoot!!! Ordered I think 40 pounds of 2-row and a bunch of other stuff. I told him brewing calms me down and he said "brew, baby, brew". He is coming to his senses now. ;)

'Cause what the hell we saving it for? A rainy day? It's raining!!!! Saving it for a massive shipment of grain and hops!! Whoot!!! Ordered I think 40 pounds of 2-row and a bunch of other stuff. I told him brewing calms me down and he said "brew, baby, brew". He is coming to his senses now. ;)

I hate to be logic debbie downer, but that's a terrible idea. Fund your obligations first, then spend on luxury items like brewing supplies.

My wife and I would never touch our savings for a luxury item, but then again I live debt free aside from my mortgage.

/enddebbiedowner.

I wonder where to get bacon lean enough to make bacon-beer? Cook it well then steep it? The bees have found me too. They are calling their friends now, come on over, beer is brewing!!! :ban:

Don't say that with CG in the room. Anyone who has made okra mead is only a hop skip and a jump away from a bacon mead. Maybe he has already thought about it.

Oblivious, you guys go it the same way over there?

Everyone else, I'm going to keep silent on this one I think. ;)

the fiscal year closes in may I think starting on february you can start with you declaration but you don´t turn it till March, is not federal tax here, we call it IRPF and it´s about the same thing, a portion of your earnings are withheld and depending on how much you made that year and how much you deduct you pay or get money back, I talked to my job account and he made the calculations and it´s 801.45 euros (about 1000 USD)

Where I live to have that kind of money back I will need to have 8 kids or something like that :D I´m happy with no kids and €800:p

Where I live to have that kind of money back I will need to have 8 kids or something like that :D I´m happy with no kids and €800:p

It's about the same here. I have two kids, plus the mortgage deduction and school expenses and my wife doesn't work. I was also about to write off some extra expenses this year because of my promotion.

I hate to be logic debbie downer, but that's a terrible idea. Fund your obligations first, then spend on luxury items like brewing supplies.

My wife and I would never touch our savings for a luxury item, but then again I live debt free aside from my mortgage.

/enddebbiedowner.

:mad: Beer is a must, not luxury!! Money will show up before bills are due. We don't even have mortgage. Just property taxes. I took a nap after I finished brewing, woke up and groceries in my kitchen. Someone was here and left them but they did not call or even leave a note. Maybe I'll take another nap then look for a wad of money. :rockin:

Evening folks! The weekend is starting off amazingly well... The commissary had free bacon!!!

image-2181101973.jpg

I woke up yesterday at 6:30am. I have had two 90min naps since then. I need some bacon, and for this sweet little 12mo old to take a looooong nap at 3.

While I certainly appreciate your position of free bacon being somewhat of a Devine nature, if this were heaven then it wouldn't cost $100 to fill up my E-350 van. But I'm diggin the gift of bacon

But then again...there was this little gem I enjoyed last weekend. You're right, it's heaven and seems pretty cool so far :)

image-862642395.jpg

Looked through my mystery groceries and no bacon. :confused: I can maybe leave a note of my own for next time: Dear mystery grocery deliverer: Bacon, please!

We have seen wild hogs in the woods here from time to time. I will make a spear and go find one!!! :tank:

BobbiLynn said:
Looked through my mystery groceries and no bacon. :confused: I can maybe leave a note of my own for next time: Dear mystery grocery deliverer: Bacon, please!

We have seen wild hogs in the woods here from time to time. I will make a spear and go find one!!! :tank:

Can you get bacon from Opposum?

Can you get bacon from Opposum?

I will have to look that up. Maybe if I cut his belly fat into strips and fry it. The opossum I will get back to trapping is a fat one. This weekend will be a good time. Going to try to disguise the trap with foliage then a trail of canned dog food leading to the trigger. Thanks for the reminder.

But then again...there was this little gem I enjoyed last weekend. You're right, it's heaven and seems pretty cool so far :)

Sorry I can't ID it close enough, does it say "Ligero"?
Looks great.
Time to tip a hat to my bride.
She buys the very fine cigars I have in my humidor.

She is a lady from the old school of thought, and treats me far too well.

No way would I spend that much on myself.

Sorry I can't ID it close enough, does it say "Ligero"?
Looks great.
Time to tip a hat to my bride.
She buys the very fine cigars I have in my humidor.

She is a lady from the old school of thought, and treats me far too well.

No way would I spend that much on myself.

Your wife sounds awesome, tell her I love her... well, actually don't because that would be weird.

So, anyone think the beer will turn out good? I added enough stuff that it doesn't taste watered down at all. Got 5.25 gallons. I don't do readings, just taste some wort and see if it's right. It's got 2-row(about 6.5 pounds), grits, rice, 1/2 large box of corn flakes, 1/2 pound honey, and my freshly washed yeast. Oh, and some northern brewer bittering hops added in intervals. Sounds yummy? Right? :ban:

Proper supplies will be here in a week. But for now, I brewed up something!! The wort was nice and thick. Interesting flavor, plenty sweet. Corn flakes sort of gave it an orangy glow.

Airlock is already bubbling... time for more music? Sorry, couldn't find one without commercial at start, but commercial short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Airlock is already bubbling... time for more music? Sorry, couldn't find one without commercial at start, but commercial short.

Kool.
I'm really just starting out on brewing and just sticking to the brew shops Liquid Hobby recipes until I get the "process" down.
So far it has actually been easier than the Mr. Beers I started off with many moons ago.
Glad the water is running, and nothing like seeing the airlock bubbling.

Kool and the gang.
I'm going to self indulge but it may stir a memory of those times by others.
I'm a rocker...1977 or so it was all REO, Styx, late night FM, the beginning of Van Halen, and the capping point of all that stuff.
DISCO SUCKED, it was official, it was a religion among us rockers.
We burned their records.
We hated the synth keyboard pop smell of things to come.
A few of us even hated KISS, and wanted TRUE rock, no makeup.
Well.
As a guitarist and a musician I grew backwards right to where I started anyways...Motown!
As I learned more sophisticated tunes to play (Rush, Yes, King Crimson, and digging deeper) I started to learn that it wasn't DISCO that sucked, it was the music biz.

So it all comes around.
Van Halen chose Kool to tour with.
In "my time" that would have been impossible to comprehend.
I like it, and I know why.
It's really what got me started in the first place.

Besides hugging that Chet Atkins album like a teddy bear when I was about 4 years old.
Or those Sun Johnny Cash records...

Bad sound quality on purpose, but this was one of my first memories of seeing him on TV.
After the fact of course.
I was born in '63.

[ame]http://youtu.be/wEV58ztuihs[/ame]

Back