What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waited a long time for this one. My first taste ever. It's good. It's damned good. I don't think it's the best beer ever, but it's certainly up there, and definitely in the top 3 of it's style. I'd have to do a side by side, or better yet blind tasting of this and Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt. 12 to say for sure.

I was debating if I wanted to drop that kind of coin on a sixer, but Shelton Bros has told western NC to go eff itself, so I can't buy it anyway.

I tried to start a thread on BA about how tacky the US labels are, but it disappeared!

TNGabe said:
I was debating if I wanted to drop that kind of coin on a sixer, but Shelton Bros has told western NC to go eff itself, so I can't buy it anyway.

I tried to start a thread on BA about how tacky the US labels are, but it disappeared!

How much did that retail for?

I've dropped $50 on a 750ml before (it was a 6 year old bottle of Rodenbach). So I guess this is pretty comparable, and if you look at it ounce for once, actually a little cheaper. Wasn't sure if it was worth it then, not sure if this is worth it now. But it's pretty close. My rationalization to myself (and to my wife) was that it's cheaper than a plane ticket.

Good thing they are not in Texas because i shouldn't spend that much on a sixer+2 glasses though i probably will if i saw one. :mug:

I got one in my cellar and i'm not opening that one for a decade or so.

They weren't available in VA either. Fortunately, I live right on the DC/VA/MD border, and was able to go up to one of the places in MD that was selling it first thing in the AM. My other 5 bottles are getting stashed. I'll probably open one a year as a bday present to myself.

I told my beer store to get some of this, it came in today, prefect time to visit.

SN narwhal. Smells amazing, tastes amazing. A great 4-pack under ten bucks!

ForumRunner_20121212_171016.png

I'm going to start buying this more often. And to think I didn't like it the first time I had it. I guess my palate wasn't matured enough at that point.

20121212_120550.jpg

I'm going to start buying this more often. And to think I didn't like it the first time I had it. I guess my palate wasn't matured enough at that point.

What style? Aroma/ flavor? My store has this and kind of interested me, but never saw any reviews. Nor I never looked any up. They come in like a 4-pack box, right?

What style? Aroma/ flavor? My store has this and kind of interested me, but never saw any reviews. Nor I never looked any up. They come in like a 4-pack box, right?

Its a DIPA in my opinion. Its nice and hoppy, nice bitterness and very good. I enjoyed it and have to get it again soon, Just drank the last one i had last night. Its worth picking up. I love the cans

One complaint about sixpoint are their packaging, it does not state what it is on there and you have to guess it.

Its a DIPA in my opinion. Its nice and hoppy, nice bitterness and very good. I enjoyed it and have to get it again soon, Just drank the last one i had last night. Its worth picking up. I love the cans

One complaint about sixpoint are their packaging, it does not state what it is on there and you have to guess it.

Pretty much sums it up. On the one hand I agree about the packaging, but I also think it's fun to guess what it is based on the numbers. I've only had the Resin so it will be interesting to see if I can guess what the others are.

I've never had it (had a few other Sixpoint beers though), but I'd guess just from the name it's in the IPA/IIPA vein.

Pretty much sums it up. On the one hand I agree about the packaging, but I also think it's fun to guess what it is based on the numbers. I've only had the Resin so it will be interesting to see if I can guess what the others are.
I like the guessing game too - provided they give enough details to have an idea.

My Black IPA (semi fail)
Plenty of bitterness, slight piney aroma, but very low hop flavor. It's missing the fresh hop aroma and flavor I wanted. It was my first attempt at an IPA. Next time I'll dry hop with atleast three times the amount of hops and probably use another hop in addition to chinook when dry hopping. Other than that, it's very drinkable and if I pretend it's not supposed to be an IPA I'm pleased with it.

image-3651368653.jpg

My Black IPA (semi fail)
Plenty of bitterness, slight piney aroma, but very low hop flavor. It's missing the fresh hop aroma and flavor I wanted. It was my first attempt at an IPA. Next time I'll dry hop with atleast three times the amount of hops and probably use another hop in addition to chinook when dry hopping. Other than that, it's very drinkable and if I pretend it's not supposed to be an IPA I'm pleased with it.

That's the great thing about mistakes - they give you a great reason to go out and brew another batch! :rockin:

mcbaumannerb said:
That's the great thing about mistakes - they give you a great reason to go out and brew another batch! :rockin:

Exactly! I love a good excuse to brew!
I'm very pleased with the grain, yeast choice and process the only thing needing adjustment is the hops. So hopefully next time I'll get it right.

Been seeing this every time I go to the store, but I keep getting distracted by hop vixens. I finally decided to get this and give it a shot. Can't say I'm disappointed.

20121212_132622.jpg

Two Brothers Domaine DuPage from a growler courtesy of my parents visiting from Chicago.

image-1809972370.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Oh, and by the way, I'm claiming the term hop vixen as mine.

Too late! I already have it trademarked and the tshirts are ordered. Lol

nukebrewer said:
Been seeing this every time I go to the store, but I keep getting distracted by hop vixens. I finally decided to get this and give it a shot. Can't say I'm disappointed.

Looks good ... what's throwing that Mardi Gras looking skeleton on your glass?

nukebrewer said:
If you're nice I may post the resultant pic(s).

Will the resultant pics include a bikini made out if hop leaves? There's no way I could talk my wife into wearing something like that. :)

As for what I'm drinking now. Well it's 12-12-12 so I'm drinking a vertical epic. 11-11-11 is the only one I was able to get my hands on. Not bad. Belgian yeast character in the aroma. Chile pepper hits you up front in flavor, the cinnamon has all but faded. All around pretty good.

image-2951763763.jpg

Nuke, this one's for you.

HPIM1596.jpg

I'd be doing myself a grave disservice if I got one for you and not myself. You'll undoubtedly like Abrasive more, but considering this is a year 'round offering for $5 a bomber, it's my favorite local IPA. Steel Toe's one of the best new breweries here, really good beers.

Back