Weight Watchers vs. Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Does anyone have a wife or girlfriend in Weight Watchers that really enjoys her mead? My wife would like to know what her limits are when drinking mead based on their point scale. Now I know the limit I prefer her at is totally different than what WWs would consider acceptable. Anyone have a clue how many points a glass of mead might be?

Your answer will greatly affect how fast my cellar will deplete and how my production my must increase. Its all about how much happiness one can handle!

The majority of calories in any alcholic drink is from the alcohol. She should be able to figure out the points of the mead by comparing it to an drink of similar alcohol content (Mead is somewhere between beer and wine, correct?)

If a mead ends at 1.01 and is say 10% alcohol it has about 278 calories per 12 oz. So that is about 5.5 points.

Weight watchers points are essentially the calories divided by 50. There are other +/- additions for fat and fiber, but there is none of that in mead.

Treat mead like a wine, ounce for ounce.

WW isn't an exact science anyways so final ABV vs. a typical 14% wine is negligible.

WW does make some mention that "sweet" wine varieties have a higher points value, much like dubbels and stouts (stouts especially) are higher in calories and therefore higher in points.

My suggestion? Get a pretty 5 or 6 oz. glass just for drinking wine. With WW you want to stick to roughly 4 oz. ........... but who only drinks 4 oz of wine? (Having a small glass to drink anything highly caloric helps)

Then I would go with the 4-5 points value (for 4-5 oz.) Drier varieties of wine are 2 pts. for 4 oz.

Back