My first infection thread... please help me decipher these pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
Well, as the title states, I started my Apfelwein yesterday, mid-day... and didn't notice any fermentation signs until this morning. It's slowly starting to bubble from the airlock, 1 bubble every 3-4 minutes, but there's some nasty white stuff floating on top. When should I consider aborting the whole batch??

It looks totally different from my Wit brew, so its scary :(
IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

That nasty stuff floating up to the surface is YEAST....it is beginning to form a krausen on top of your cider, and it ferments. It's going to get uglier looking...and be exactly what you want it to be.

Like this!!!!

3752870227_4d1cef64ce_b.jpg

:eek:

Relax.:D

Yay... thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the quick reply. I can go back to eating my breakfast tacos and hopefully a beer or 3 later today :)

Appreciate the quick response Revvy. My other batch looks like that pic you just posted, I guess I missed that part of the krausen forming while I was asleep on the first one.

Wow, yeah... in just the last few hours, the full top of the carboy is filled with a foamy krausen now, instead of those yeast deposits. Amazing how fast that stuff grows.

Did you used Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe? If so, I thought that it doesnt form a Krausen?

Did you used Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe? If so, I thought that it doesnt form a Krausen?

Well... I did use Edworts recipe, but I got the yeast from one of the LHBS, and the place was rather sketchy. I wasn't sure how long the yeast had been in the store, so I wanted to make a starter. I bought some yeast starter (basically a small amount of DME) and pitched it in to my growler I had. Once I found out that my yeast was viable, I pitched it in to my secondary carboy with the apple juice.

While the krausen isn't very large at all, I believe the yeast starter allowed there to be a small krausen to form... but it's starting to go down now. It's just sort of foamy at the top, but the 5 gallon carboy was filled 95% of the way to the top, and the foam was nipping at the top. I'm watching it carefully to make sure I don't have need to scramble and find a blow off tube.

Worst case is, I'll use my siphoning tubing as a blowoff I think.

Have you gotten rhino farts yet? I thought people where just being dramatic. They weren't.

I guess the kraeusen is there because of the malt in the extract. If its just apple juice and sugar then there should be much of a "head" formed.

Yea mine has been bubbling pretty aggressively for 6 weeks now, only a few bubbles on top.

The rhino farts have subsided though.

Mine just has a few bubbles, no krausen but I pitched it about 3 days ago. When should I expect rhino farts?

Back