Can I transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbee

Reaction score
Hi,Newbee here/Looks like a great forum i wish i found before I started.
I started with a 6 gallon batch,15 lbs honey,A HANDFUL OF CRUSHED RAISINS(aBOUT 30) a little cinnamon stick boiled down and cotes de blanc yeast. Not sure if that was the right yeast to use but was recommended by a local winery.The start gravity was 1.092 on Dec 2.I transfered it from the primary bucket to a carboy on 12/8.The gravity then,1.007.
I added a little yeast nutrient at that time and got a few days of vigorous fermentation.
At this time I have got a lot of lees settled to the bottom and the gravity is 1.003.
Is it okay to transfer off the lees into another carboy at this time?I tasted what was in the wine thief and it seems a bit on the dry side.Should I sweeten with anything now or wait until time to bottle?
The temp is at 71f.
Sorry long winded But I have a lot to learn.

Sweeten either at bottle time or just back-sweeten with Sprite for different people's individual palate. I sweetened with Splenda in my bottling bucket and it worked well.

As far as FG...sounds like it may be done.

As far as yeast.... I thinkn Cotes was a good choice. It will be very dry -- that is what Cotes does. Even though the description says "fruity", it has always turned out to be a dry flavor to me. Not as dry as Montrachet, but dry non the less.

If you'd used more honey, it'd be sweeter. 3lbs per gallon is typically when you start producing sweeter meads, but it depends on the yeast used too (champaign yeast usually makes dry mead no matter how much honey you add).

I've never heard of back sweetening with Sprite... and would advise against it.
splenda would work though, since its non-fermentable.

it can sit on the lees awhile...after the short 7 day primary, you probably should have left it in there at least another week. I think you pulled it out of primary too early and stunted your fermentation a bit.

I made a 5 gal batch on 6/24/06 with 14 lbs honey and Wyeast 4632 + nutrients, 1.10 OG After one week 1.040 SG added 2lbs of honey + nutrients, brought it back up to 1.048 SG. after ten days .990 SG. Racked to Secondary, after a month .990 SG Racked to third. Bottled on 12/2/06. opened another bottle to day and still HOT, but the honey flavor is coming to the for ground. Beginning to mellow.

Back