Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He loves him some blueberries. He picks a lot but never puts any in the bucket.

image-3646643445.jpg

image-4145167162.jpg

My 6 yr old lab, Sage, probably isn't all that happy with me right now... he (finally) got de-nutted this morning.

We have to watch KB around the strawberry patch and the peas both.

I used to grow Egyptian onions around my yard. Egon took a liking to them and then a liking to getting real sick. I had to hunt down and pull all the plants and bulbs. I still have to maintain vigilance in looking for and killing any stragglers every year.

Heh, I am worried about Harper and the veggie patch I want to start growing... I treat him carrots all the time so I have a feeling they won't last long in the ground. :p

I used to grow Egyptian onions around my yard. Egon took a liking to them and then a liking to getting real sick. I had to hunt down and pull all the plants and bulbs. I still have to maintain vigilance in looking for and killing any stragglers every year.

KB's usually pretty good about those kinds of things. He won't help himself, but when we're out picking... he stays very close. :D

onions can be poisonous to dogs... keep 'em away from the pooch!

Gotta love a well trained dog! We are to the point now I just toss his treats on the floor and he sits there staring at me until I tell him he can have it. The added benefit being if I drop something in the kitchen or off a plate or whatever it isn't instantly destroyed by him now. :p

Gotta love a well trained dog! We are to the point now I just toss his treats on the floor and he sits there staring at me until I tell him he can have it. The added benefit being if I drop something in the kitchen or off a plate or whatever it isn't instantly destroyed by him now. :p

KB's the same way. We had company over for pizza and they didn't believe me so I set my plate down on the ottoman right in front of him and we all left the room. A minute later he wandered into the kitchen after us looking very confused but hadn't touched the pizza.

If we drop something on the floor, he'll rush over to it and wait for the OK. Although, if we drop something and want him to just come and take care of it we'll say "Oh no... I dropped a (chip/olive/whatever) on the floor!" and he comes and cleans it up. It's a recognized phrase to him that it's ok to just come and get it.

The only problem is when we're not home and he's on his own. He's developed the idea that he becomes the man of the house and he can make himself a snack if we leave something in reach. So, food always has to be up on a counter (he won't touch anything on the kitchen counters). This has led to him sampling some interesting things. One day we came home to a 5 lb bag of wheat flour in his bed. Another time he got a hold of one of those carbonated, flavored water things. He bit through the cap and it sprayed everywhere. He's even tried getting into caned goods, but wasn't able to.

Oh yeah I would never leave anything out totally unattended. It is amazing though how well they take to a learned behavior with solid training.

I make a tuna snack every day, two cans of tuna go in it. I put down the first empty can and he totally ignores it since it is the cat's. I put down the second empty can and he sits and stares at me while I finish making my snack, wash my hands, throw the lids in recycling, clean the counter, take the snack into the office, grab my empty glass, fill it, etc. then I say OK and he is all over it.

Also, if I drop something and tap my foot next to it he knows it is on (like dropping veggies when I am preparing them). It is so conditioned he hears me tap from the other room and comes running.

I just need to stop being lazy and get the whole "come" thing down. He is good in the house or when he knows he is getting something but if he gets out it becomes a game. I know it is just that I am lazy about working on it but still. :p

KB's the same way. We had company over for pizza and they didn't believe me so I set my plate down on the ottoman right in front of him and we all left the room. A minute later he wandered into the kitchen after us looking very confused but hadn't touched the pizza.

If we drop something on the floor, he'll rush over to it and wait for the OK. Although, if we drop something and want him to just come and take care of it we'll say "Oh no... I dropped a (chip/olive/whatever) on the floor!" and he comes and cleans it up. It's a recognized phrase to him that it's ok to just come and get it.

The only problem is when we're not home and he's on his own. He's developed the idea that he becomes the man of the house and he can make himself a snack if we leave something in reach. So, food always has to be up on a counter (he won't touch anything on the kitchen counters). This has led to him sampling some interesting things. One day we came home to a 5 lb bag of wheat flour in his bed. Another time he got a hold of one of those carbonated, flavored water things. He bit through the cap and it sprayed everywhere. He's even tried getting into caned goods, but wasn't able to.

My dog is the exact same. He's gotten into chocolate (several DARK chocolate bars one time, and he's only about 20lbs), even with the chocolate wrapped up - or even unopened - and hidden. In fact, chocolate doesn’t even seem to affect him like it supposedly should (ie uber-"caffeinated"-like behavior). He loves chocolate almost as much as his clearly favorite human snacking food... granola bars.

Worst thing he ate with the house to himself? Probably the entire quarter-pound stick of butter he ate one night. Needless to say, he wasn't feeling all too well afterwards... he definitely learned his lesson after that little stunt!

The only problem is when we're not home and he's on his own. He's developed the idea that he becomes the man of the house and he can make himself a snack if we leave something in reach. So, food always has to be up on a counter (he won't touch anything on the kitchen counters).

On the counter? Never heard of counter surfing? :)

ROAS4102CustomImage1513574.jpg

(not my dog)

MC

ChshreCat said:

I can imagine a dog trying to eat a bag of flour.
'This is really dry and I'm having a hard time swallowing it, but it's people food and people food is delicious so I will eat it. This is really dry....'

The rare picture of Porter laying down.

Most of the pictures of him look like the one on the bottom, he is such an athlete.

2012-07-21 11.43.06.jpg

2012-08-04 06.52.27.jpg

This is Moe
American Eskimo Miniature

he is 11yrs old and a bit "special" as the vet calls him.

IMG_20120617_094957_zps3d76f8d2.jpg

IMG_20121117_101049_zps2923b167.jpg

IMG_20111224_222134_zps2ac8a2d8.jpg

Just doing what he does best.

ForumRunner_20130720_102609.jpg

I swear dad it tried to attack me. It was self defense.

ForumRunner_20130720_102625.jpg

My in-laws basest hound, like my pup loves picking berries, but doesn't put any in the bucket.

Between him and mine, I think they ate 500g of raspberries today.

image-2073772011.jpg

Holy crap, I'm hurting right now. Just finished up the dog's nails. Just as I got done with the last one, KB flung one of his back feet out and got me square in the.... well... square on the right one, at least.

football_groin.gif

One of my favorite things about my puppy is she's a car dog. Dogs want to get out of the house too; they want to meet some people, mix it up a little.

Mine too. His spot is in the seat directly behind me.

730506_10151373061494254_690953966_n.jpg

When we bought our current car, we got it specifically because it had cargo space in the back where he could ride. When we brought it home and took him for his first ride, he went around to the rear passenger door and waited. So I told him to come around back and get in. He looked really confused and jumped in. I closed the hatch and walked around to the drivers door to find him in his usual seat behind me. He seemed really confused why I'd want him to go in the back and climb over the seat like that, but he'll do it if I want. We tried a few times to get him to ride in the back, but he always came over the seat to take his accustomed spot. We finally gave up. He's a people. People don't ride in cargo space.

I know this sounds stupid, but I had a friend who trained his dog to stay on a beach towel. The owner could be playing in a softball game and the dog would not leave that towel. I gotta find a way to teach my dog this. I've started feeding her on the towel and she know's not to leave the towel if she wants more food.

I know this sounds stupid, but I had a friend who trained his dog to stay on a beach towel. The owner could be playing in a softball game and the dog would not leave that towel. I gotta find a way to teach my dog this. I've started feeding her on the towel and she know's not to leave the towel if she wants more food.
A basic form of that is training them for a safe spot as defined by an item. Usually a bed or towel or blanket or whatever. Once you have them comfortable with the item (sounds like you are already well on your way) you can move the spot and they will still use it. Not that hard to expand that to "go to bed" or "stay in bed" or the like for like when someone comes to the door or when you need to bring stuff in from outside or whatever. Handy for dogs that like to crowd you when you are in the kitchen or creep you out by staring at you when you eat or whatever.

EDIT: Oh and that "bed" becomes very handy in reducing anxiety when you visit new places or have to board/kennel your dog. That bed will become his haven when in a new place.

Sundays are becoming "Dog Day" in our household. Took him for a car ride to Cama Beach state park this afternoon. He got to walk trails and look for bunnies and splash in Puget Sound a little. We've been doing this for a few weeks now and he's come to expect it every sunday. He's gonna be disappointed when football season starts again. ;)

I just had a 9 y.o. male Akita dropped off for me to have as a new farm manager. He had it pretty rough and needed a new home. We took our first long walk and got soaked, and like a typical Akita he decided to soak up a bit more rain while laying around checking out his new domain. It is a LOT bigger than the cellar he used to be in all the time.

Latest posts

Back