High range for wyeast 3711

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Projectfdw

Reaction score
Making my first saison and need some help as a noob. Got 3711 and I know the top range is 75 degrees but I've read about some who ferment higher. Any idea how high I can go and not get a horrible batch or a batch that will need 6 months to mellow. Unfortunately space is at a premium so a swamp cooler isn't an option (hence the saison). I did a test of water at ambient temperature and it was 83 so I suspect the brew would be 90ish...

So, is that acceptable for this yeast. How fierce will the esters and phenols be at this range? Has anyone brewed at this temperature with this yeast.

It's an extract DuPont style kit.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

3711 is a beast! I've gone to 86 without a hitch. The only reason I didn't press higher was due to my timeline. I have seen posts of others going beyond the 90 degree mark.
tom

I just used 3711 + Roeselare in a 'small' saison and ramped the temp up to 82F over the course of 1 week. The gravity dropped from 1.039 to 1.000 in 4 days. No off flavors or anything strange with the beer. Just try your best to pitch close to 70 as possible then let it ramp up. Keeping it cool the 1st day or so is most important to avoid creating medicinal/band-aid compounds.

I got one 5 days in the fermentor.

Its the NB Petite Saison d'Ete with Wyeast 3711 and my very first home brew.
Today it was 90F in Los Angeles, I battled with ice and cold gallons of water to keep my bucket cool but its remained steady at 78F.

Happy to hear this one can go high, I was a bit :eek: as the coming days will see even higher temps.

Anyone else gone higher than the 65-77F range with this one?

A lot of people go higher but most start within the recommended range. My last two runs with it I started at about 70 and ramped up to 80 over the course of a week. No fusels at all. I would be wary of starting at 80, but you might find other people have done it with no trouble.

^^Thanks for the advice Tagz! Being a first timer, I was a bit nervous but great to hear feedback from the HB community and experience brewers!

Back