DIY Immersion Chiller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
i have been debating if I can actually build a chiller cheaper than I can buy one. Even with the price of copper it looks like I can. What is the best size of copper tubing? I have seen 3/8 and 1/2? Also, at the store, I have seen "type L" tubing. What is "Type L"? I think the best deal I have seen is 50 feet for about $60 at home depot. thanks.

I think coppertubingsales.com is the best deal going if you compare final price shipping vs. sales tax locally. If you ever plan on going 10 gallons, the best deal is 1/2" x 50' refrigeration tubing.

Bobby_M said:
I think coppertubingsales.com is the best deal going if you compare final price shipping vs. sales tax locally. If you ever plan on going 10 gallons, the best deal is 1/2" x 50' refrigeration tubing.

I used 3/8" copper from coppertubingsales and was very pleased with the ease of ordering, the price, and the delivery. Not sure if the 1/2" is better, but you really should check that place out for tubing. You do want the refrigeration tubing.

Back