How does a commerical brewery bottle beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordiesel69

Reaction score
Of course the best beer enthusiest can tell bottled, canned, draft beer from each other. But for everyday folk, it all tastes good and all tasts so close the most will never know. So how do they do it?

Microbrews locally for example, put the beer in to the bottles flat and add somthing to it prior to capping. Frankly it tastes TOTALLY different from fresh out of the tap, and it is usually overly foamed + totally different flavors.

All our beers are bottle conditioned meaning we bottle them flat and add a measured dose of sugar and yeast. The yeast eat the newly introduced sugar while securely inside the capped, bottled beer creating carbon dioxide

I don't know how but I think I saw it on "How Its Made" or something like that.

I would say though, that you would be able to tell NO difference between a canned vs bottled beer if you poured them both into glasses. I have tried this on a few craft beers that come in both can and bottle, there is really no difference.

Where is that "quote" from?

I'm confused by this. Is the Op asking a question? Making a speech? Quoting something? He's making a lot of generalizations either way.

Not all microbreweries bottle condition their beer. Many filter, force carb and pasteurize just like macro brewries. Not all canned commercial beer is filtered/forced carbed an pasteruized, some of it is primed, carbed, and conditioned right in the can, like some bottled microbrews.

Here's a couple of vids of commercial canning and bottling lines.

Canning line

Last edited by a moderator:
So in short, the beear bottles are sterilized, filled with CO2 and beer using some kind of device. Therefore it is as close to the quality as draft beer as possible.

Compared to bottleing flat and letting the yeast and sugar build co2. Which method will allow for better taste?

Back