How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdev

Reaction score
First time hops grower. I know this probably varies widely but how long from when the rhizomes go in the ground until I should see some shoots coming out of the ground?

Thanks in advance!

I had bines popping out within days on my Cascade Hops. Now in less that 3 weeks I have growth on all 4 varieties. (cascade, centennial, chinook, and willamette).

If u been as cold and dismal as it has been here id not worry about it. I planted 2-3 weeks ago and on some i just now have shoots(i still have 6 that have none yet). gorund still 2 cold for em to hogwild.

So far I'm realizing that gardening and hop growing is a lot like making beer. A lot of worrying at first, a lot of patience, and a lot of different results.

I think I'm on my 3rd week or so and I have 3 or maybe 4 shoots from my Chinook with leaves and about and about 2-3 inches of growth. My Hallertau has a very small white shoot with a bit of green color. There is something else growing in my pot but it's probably a weed or something but I don't want to pick it until I'm certain :p the leaves are too small to tell .

Mine took 2-3 weeks after planting last May. The sprouts were wimpy compared to what's coming up now/year 2. Give it a couple weeks and look for sprouts. If none, consider getting a backup rhizome. I had 1 of 8 not make it last year.

if it's not up after 3 weeks or so, you can dig it up and see what's going on. I've now done that with 2 of the 4 that I planted this year. Both of them I'd planted too deep, the one I just dug up the shoot was growing off the bottom, so I flipped it over and replanted much more shallow. It probably would have eventually broken the surface, but it doesn't hurt anything if you're gentle about re-planting.

First year was slow starting for me, but still got 1 ounce harvest. I thought I killed my hops when I moved and potted the ryzomes, then leaving them outside for the winter. Kicking myself in the ass thinking i killed them they've actually sprouted early and growing like crazy! Just relax, have a homebrew and wait.

Latest posts

Back