Help! I think my fermenation is stuck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie313

Reaction score
On 10/14, I brewed an extract sweet stout kit from more beer. I was able to get an O.G. of 1.048, which according to there sheet its in the recommend range. I was only able to cool to 80° before pitching Safale 04. I did aerate the wort for 2 minutes with an oxygen tank. Fermentation, I would guess took off in about 12 hours. I did use a blow off tube. I fermented @ 68°

Today on 11/11, I checked the gravity for the first time. I was only able to get a reading of 1.021. Is the beer finished or do I need to kick-start the yeast again.

Recipe:
6lb light malt extract
1lb lactose
1lb black patent
12oz crystal 75L
2oz Cascade hops (bittering)

whirhfloc tablet ( which i totally forgot to add).

Also, do I need to cold crash this style of beer before I keg.

What's the sweet stout kit say the final gravity should be? How far are you off of that?

It says that the estimated ABV% should be 4.5%. When I calculated it I got 3.5%. Which makes me think that I'm about 10 points off.

The original gravity was 1.048 The estimated final gravity should be around 1.012. I only hit 1.021.

If it got from 80F down to 68 too fast could cause the yeast to stress out & stall. I wonder if the pound of lactose Might keep the gravity higher than expected on top of the yeast bit?...

wish i could help. i am in the same situation. i did rehydrate and repitch however.

Same issue here with a autumn amber ale. Sat in primary for 2 weeks and stuck at 1.020 . I bottled it anyway but my ABV is going to be very low. Don't know what I did wrong. That was my first brew.

It is a common occurrence for all extract recipes to finish at 1.020 due to the less ferment able malt in the extract, especially darker extracts. If you take another reading in a couple days and its the same, it's done

Not all. I had one that did because it had a goodly amount of dark malts in it & jhigher gravity to boot. And I got that one down to 1.017 a week later. Just that one though. I've gottwen 1.05X's down to 1.010 several times. I think it depends on the darkness of the malts & how much is used. But the pound of lactose could be a sticky point here.

The lactose is more likely your problem. I had a sweet stout finish up at 1.026. It had a higher OG but lactose certainly will add to your FG.

Would there be any harm in rousing the yeast and letting it sit another week.

No harm at all, raise the temp a bit and rouse the yeast and give it some time to see if moves for you.

@Union, I said a common occurrence, not implying all extract recipes. A lot has to do with brewing practice: Use of starters, aeration, fermentation temperatures and of course the brand of extract being used will all influence the FG attained. Obviously if best practices are used the chances of the beer finishing properly are greater.

You are most likely done. With a pound of lactose in there it probably will not go any lower. Brew software always seems to overestimate how low a brew with lactose will go. I have had stouts with a pound of lactose finish higher than that.

If it stays there for a couple of days you are good.

No harm at all, raise the temp a bit and rouse the yeast and give it some time to see if moves for you.

@Union, I said a common occurrence, not implying all extract recipes. A lot has to do with brewing practice: Use of starters, aeration, fermentation temperatures and of course the brand of extract being used will all influence the FG attained. Obviously if best practices are used the chances of the beer finishing properly are greater.

Yes,of course those things add into the equasion. I just don't get why it happens to so many so frequently? There's gotta be something common here,besides Cooper's ale yeast. :D

unionrdr said:
Yes,of course those things add into the equasion. I just don't get why it happens to so many so frequently? There's gotta be something common here,besides Cooper's ale yeast. :D

IMO, and I'm no expert, I think all the above mentioned factors are in play as many reported problems are from new brewers that have not gotten a handle on their entire process.

In addition, it seems that recipes that have most ferment able as LME have more tendency then DME, especially darker extracts. It is difficult to know what percentages of specialty grains are incorporated.

In my reading and answering questions like this it appears that those that use light extracts and achieve color and flavor from steeping grain experience this problem less than those that use mostly extract. In addition, many don't do late additions meaning greater caramelization and possibly less ferment ability.

Just my 02, it's been several years since I've done an extract brew so take all this as nothing more than my unscientific opinion:)

Yeah,true,but I've found that DME performs better than LME. But it's my concidered opinion that not all LME's are created equal. How much unfermentables did the maltster include for flavor & color? Or just inert,unfermentable bulk adders? Again,as mentioned darker extracts higher amount of crystal grains. It seems that in my experience you have to learn which extracts AND combinations thereof Give more than the desirable amount of unfermentables. In other words,which manufacturers extracts & which combinations produce the effect.
I'm starting to think maybe we should collectively start puting such a sticky list together from our brew notes. Might be a good resource.

My general experience has been that liquid malt extracts finish higher than dry malt extracts finish higher than all grain when you hold other variables constant.

For example, I just bottled what were designed to be identical partial mash (some dry extract) and all grain recipes -- the partial mash finished at 1.015 versus the all grain at 1.010.

I've been learning those kinda things leading up to that partial mash. Then again when actually doing it. Finaly got the bloddy lid off the BB ale pale today to clean it out. Boy those things go on tight. With a second yeast pitch the fine crush along with US-05's medium flocculation left about 1/2" of trub this time. Not to mention,one more bottle of beer I didn't tilt enough to get an even 48 bottles.
Plus RITA & her failing friggin memory...I need a drink. Thievin ho'...

In addition to all of the differences between extract manufacturers there are a few other variables that will definitely contribute.

Yeast strain, yeast viability (age/starter/etc...), pitching rate, and wort aeration will all play a bigger role.

In the OP's case, I suspect that it is the lactose.

Thanks for all the replies. I stopped by my local LHBS, which happens to be the Morebeer Riverside location and asked them. They said the same thing everyone else has said on here; its done. Since I did rouse they yeast, I was going to wait until Thursday or Friday to cold crash then transfer to a keg.

Back