Fastest fermentation start ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
I just finished a batch of Belgian strong dark, cooled to 80 and pitched a starter of WLP530 about 30 minutes ago. I have the bucket in a swamp cooler of 65 degree water, so I just went to check on it to see if it was starting to suck back sanitizer yet, since that's fairly common when the wort is still cooling. To my surprise, the thing was already bubbling. Is it even possible that the yeast are already going at this thing hard enough to produce that much co2? This is really my first time making a starter, but it just doesn't seem normal. Sorry for the noob moment, I'm now stepping away from the beer to let it do it's thing.

The quickest I had a batch take off was about 3 hours, and that was using dry yeast. For liquid yeast, it was around 10 hours.

If you made a healthy starter and the yeast was fresh to begin with, all the better!

This is by far the craziest fermentation I've had yet. In addition to the extremely fast start, it had been bubbling 2-3 times per second all day yesterday. This morning, I discovered that it was a good thing I had a blowoff tube in, because it's pushing out tons of liquid. I'm even having a hard time keeping the temperature down on it. The water bath it's sitting in keeps going above 70 despite the fact that I've been dumping frozen water bottles and every last bit of ice in the house into it. I still have another 2 lbs of candi sugar to add when it slows down lol... :mug:

The first bubbles could be from the air pressure dropping. A front is moving through the north east so the barometer has been falling. That combined with a worm wort and starter probably helped the yeast start off quickly.

Back