cold fermentation snd Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knecht_Rupprecht

Reaction score
I have 8oz of galaxy hops I'd like to use in my next batch. Given the current temps in many basement I'd like to brew something with the ambient temp being any mostly 55.

I'm obviously not going to do a saison that low, but what styles should I consider? Thought about an IPL.

Not sure how many other choices you have if you want to use all 8 oz in a batch and ferment that cool. A super hoppy 7.5% lager with all galaxy sounds great to me.

Have you fermented in your basement at 55 before? If ambient is 55, fermentation can easily reach 8-10 degrees higher than that. I personally ferment WLP001 (Cal Ale) in the low 60's (actual) for the first few days and then slowly ramp up the degrees. I know WLP001 works that low so you aren't really limited as to what to do. I'd say you can do a pale ale or an IPA with a clean ale strain. 55 ambient might be a little high for a traditional lager, unless you want to try out a San Francisco Lager strain and go for a hopped up california common. Make it a west coast common, hopped to the brim.

Either way, I'd stick to a clean fermenting ale yeast (or maybe SF Lager) and a simple malt bill to make those galaxy hops shine (they are absolutely delicious).

So I have fermented lower using once baths for a Maerzen. I have done warmer with heating pads. I'd like to not worry too much about temps.

I also front need to use all 8oz. Idye happily save some for summer.

So I have fermented lower using once baths for a Maerzen. I have done warmer with heating pads. I'd like to not worry too much about temps.

I also front need to use all 8oz. Idye happily save some for summer.

If that's the case, I'd do a hoppy, low temp ale using kolsch yeast and a sleeping bag or something on your fermenter. Something like a biere de mars would be killer with galaxy.

If you can get your temp up to pale ale ferm temps (I start my chico-strain ferments at 63-65), subbing galaxy for cascade in a SNPA cone gives a great, hoppy, clean beer. I used a pinch of magnum for bittering, then an oz at 10 mins and an oz at flame out, with no dry hop and the citrusy fruit shines through wonderfully. Of course, an extra couple of ounces as dry hop wouldn't have hurt, but opted to keep it more accessible for the lay-people.

Great hop though.

Back