Don't Forget, It's a Hombrewing Holiday Today!!! Teach a friend to Homebrew Day!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
TAF-header.jpg

The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day is an international event to introduce people to the homebrewing hobby and establish relationships with local homebrew supply shops.

Each year on the first Saturday in November, homebrewers around the world are encouraged to invite non-brewing and brewing friends and family to celebrate Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day and brew a batch of beer together.

A bunch of us from the HBT Michigan Mashers are going to meet for the first time, and brew together, at Cap N Cork Homebrew shop. I even made an HBT sign.

For the spring brew several of the clubs set up taps, I heard there was close to 900 gallons of beer around the parking lot..(I don't remember too much because I was pretty plotz)

I'm so excited, like today is Christmas...I could barely sleep!

So, hopefully you are planning to hook up at a homebrew shop, or with a group of friend, to share the love (and corrupt a few more souls to the good beer side.)

If you have made planned care to share?

:mug:

I'm already

Man. I wish I had someone to teach. Guess I could just abduct some poor soul off the street and force them to learn! :ban:

Good excuse to get out of household chores and brew some more beer!

I'll be at Austin Homebrew Supply today from 11-3 brewing in the parking lot.

I'm bringing some of my Oktoberfest and 888 RIS to pass around. Perhaps a pint or two of Southern Star Pine Belt Pale Ale too.

First off let me just say EdWort's beer rocked. Very much enjoyed. It was really cool to finally get to try the 8-8-8 RIS! :mug:

I brought a couple of my OhioBrewtus' Hoegaarden clone and a 9-9-9 partitgyle I call my "random beer". We had three folks stay for the whole brew session, had a great time, and I think they learned a thing or two like how to drink homebrew during the downtime. :D

Introduced my dad into homebrewing today. We modified my IC a bit and it works so much better. We also modified my dip tube and then brewed up a Porter. Was a great day:mug:

Chupacbras did his demo today and saw 4 guys show up for the demo. Not many but enough to show some promise. It's a start. We shared a few brews and a few hours of good fun.
Be nice to do another later to encourage some others to get the brewing bug.

I have a few friends coming over tomorrow to show them how to brew. Just got my keezer set up earlier this week, so we are breaking that in too.

It was an awesome day!!!!

Bjornbrewer and I brewed, Mustangj and Terrapin Chef hanged out, and we represented HBT well, I must say!!!

I'd say about 100+ people passed through the parking lot and between 150 and 200 gallons were brewed. Bjornbrewer and I talked a couple people through the brewing process...and one of the guys is going to watch him brew a barleywine tomorrow.

I can't tell you how successful my brewing attempt was...I know I made beer though :mug: but some of the grains and all my hops in my recipe had to be substituted on the fly...and without a computer, I really didn't adjust on the fly....so I went with the rdwhahb theory and made beer...

The neat thing was just picking up tips on the way...Bjornbrewer's method of chilling using and IC and aquarium pump is something I think I can adapt to my loft brewing situation..so that was waaay more than worth the price of admission :D

And then a bunch of us converged on the nearest brewpub (which is actually pretty crappy btw) but we DID get a back stage tour of their brewery setup though...if only they knew how to brew decent beer....

It was a pretty cool day all around though!!!

I guess I kinda celebrated a little early. 2 weeks ago, I got to show my dad how to brew. We brewed EdWorts Pale Ale, AG. It was a great time for me. Even though my dad lives about 2 blocks from me, we don't get to see each other much, and he really doesn't get out much at all ( I have a very evil step mom). Anyways, he seemed like he had a blast, and think he may look into doing extract batches on the stove.

Sounds like a good time Rev!

I did 5 gallons of Scottish 70/- and a guy who writes a beer-related blog for the local paper stopped by, took some video and snapped some pictures. :p Fortunately brew day went well. :drunk:

Lemme know when his blog goes up, I wanna see it!

Only if it's not too self-effacing. :eek: We had a few homebrews so hopefully any snafus of mine coincided with an unsteady camera hand and made for bad shots. :D

First off let me just say EdWort's beer rocked. Very much enjoyed. It was really cool to finally get to try the 8-8-8 RIS! :mug:

I brought a couple of my OhioBrewtus' Hoegaarden clone and a 9-9-9 partitgyle I call my "random beer". We had three folks stay for the whole brew session, had a great time, and I think they learned a thing or two like how to drink homebrew during the downtime. :D

Thanks Eric,

You had a Tasty Ho Garten clone too! :D Great weather, great beers, & fun brewing. Can't beat that.

AHSTeachAfriendDay.jpg

I didn't get the chance to "teach" anyone to brew, but I did get two batches brewed this weekend, one on Friday and one on Saturday. One of my neighbors stopped by and asked me if I was frying a turkey. I explained that I was brewing beer and went through the process with him. When I explained that you add hops during the boil, he says - "Could you use some more hops?". Duh! So he takes me over to his back yard and shows me a trellis with several hop vines growing on it. Unfortunately, the cones were too tried out, but I know now where I'm getting my golding hops next year! Damn you non-brewing neighbor and your little too late hops. :rolleyes:

Back