can the Coors light resealable metal pint bottles be used for homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done it but I do not know how many times you could do it. I keep a few around in case I run short on bottling day

Yes they can. I've used and reused them for some time now. I use keg lube around the top when I screw them on and I've never had a "leaker".

I would just be a little wary to only reuse a couple times at most. I wonder how well the inner coating would hold up to the claning/sanitizing. I definitely would not use a bottle brush on them.

I have one of these I put the last of my Klondike Gold amber ale into yesterday. It is actually a Miller Lite "bottle," but the same thing, I guess - one of the short, squat metal bottles.

I screwed the cap on extra tight, and the "bottle" is already quite firm. I can't wait to see how it turns out in three weeks - I will let everyone know here. I did it for a test, because 1) some public places allow alcohol but nothing in glass, period, and 2) if I wanted to ship a beer out, I wouldn't have to worry about any glass breaking by the shipping company.

;)

Why would there be a limit to how many times you can use them? They are aluminum I am assuming.

Seems like a great idea.

Why would there be a limit to how many times you can use them? They are aluminum I am assuming.

Seems like a great idea.

There's a coating on the inside of the bottle to keep metal flavors from leaching into the beer. Cleaning and sanitizing will probably wear that layer down over time

As an interesting aside, I saw 8 or 10 ounce aluminum Coke bottles at Walmart the other day. Those might be good to use as well, maybe for a glass's worth of a belgian or the like?

How does the screw cap seal? Chances are you will need to replace the seals after about 3 uses

I've used them before to take home brew where glass isn't allowed. I usually just recycle them after one use though so I don't know how well they stand up to repeated use. The mountains still turn blue!

I've used them before to take home brew where glass isn't allowed. I usually just recycle them after one use though so I don't know how well they stand up to repeated use. The mountains still turn blue!

This is what I'm planning on doing with them. Thankfully I like Coors Banquet enough to polish off a nine pack, even if it takes a week. My thouroughly unscientific test of opening a Miller Lite and resealing it proved that they'll hold pressure at room temp for about a month if you crank the lid back down tight enough.

They are not unlike the glass jugs with the screw on caps I assume? If so, they will work but probably only a few times. The guy at my brew store advised me to only use them 2-3 times. So I would go for using them twice and see how it goes!

This is what I'm planning on doing with them. Thankfully I like Coors Banquet enough to polish off a nine pack, even if it takes a week. My thouroughly unscientific test of opening a Miller Lite and resealing it proved that they'll hold pressure at room temp for about a month if you crank the lid back down tight enough.

The best part is when you open the cooler and everybody is like, "Oh, look at Mr Homebrewer tapping the Rockies!" And then you pour an Imperial Stout. They'll look at you like a magician.

The best part is when you open the cooler and everybody is like, "Oh, look at Mr Homebrewer tapping the Rockies!" And then you pour an Imperial Stout. They'll look at you like a magician.

Better yet, let someone pop one and get a face full of hop explosion. But that would waste beer.

Back