Stir plate - Potentiometer and fan questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
Planning to build myself a homemade stir plate. I've read couple of tutorials and I'm left with some questions lol.

I'd like to wire the fan to a potentiometer so I can control the speed.

1. I intend to use a pc fan (80mm) or something. I've read against using brushless fan as you can't control the speed. How do you see if it's brushless?

2. What is the potentiometer I need. I see people say 25 ohm (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-stirplate-could-get-any-easier-225340/)
and other people say 1k ohm (http://seanterrill.com/2010/04/26/build-a-better-stirplate/)

Does it make much of a difference? Why does it work with both.
How do I calculate the required ohm? Because I will go the my electronic shop tomorow and see what fans then have in stock. If the ohm is important I should know how to calculate it.

3. I see that I should get a 2W rated potentiometer to avoid it melting because of the dissipated heat. In the second link I provided up there I know the guy says the best method is with the LM317T and yada yada, but fact is I'm a real amateur in this domain so I'd like to keep it simple for now. Maybe one day I'll do something like he said (His instruction are not simple enough for a noob like me).

So if I get a 2w rated one, I should be fine right?

More info: Scavenged a fan from an old power supply. This is a DC12V 0.17A fan. Not written Brushless like the other one I had (which made me worry). I know it could be brushless too, let's just hope its not?

So what potentiometer should I get if I have a 12V AD/DC Adapter (I guess it must support at least 500mA right?)

But why 25ohm? And not 2k like the other article I read? Will it change anything?

a 100ohm will allow me to reduce by 100%

Why the other guy in his article use a 2k then? Sorry for all these questions, I'm trying to understand.

Why the other guy in his article use a 2k then?

Because with an LM317 it isn't the value of either resistor that sets the voltage, it's the ratio between them. I was using a 220 ohm fixed resistor, so a 2.5 kohm pot allowed for a range of ~11 V.

With a potentiometer wired in series, all you're doing is sinking some of the current into the pot and dissipating it as heat. Whatever is "left over" powers the motor.

Latest posts

Back