Teavana in your beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
Well I bought my mom a teavana kit for her birthday and I am blown away by the aroma and taste of some of these teas. My brewing mind instantly thought how can this be incorporated into some brews. Anybody do it? Im thinking a wit or some other belgian brew. Thanks in advance!

I think I have single-handedly kept Teavana in business over the past two years, and I've tried using it in my beer. My first brew was a Brooklyn Brew Shop Tea & Toast, and I used some of my high-end tea. It did not end well, though I suspect that most of that is due to the fact that I had never brewed before.

Someone with more knowledge would know what that would do to the beer but I have read in the mead and wine forums about people using black tea instead of Tannin, I know one of the biggest things people are trying to avoid in mashing

I made a dunkelweizen with 2oz of one of their chai teas. I can't remember which I used but I think it turned out fairly well. Next time I will cut down on the tea though because the spice completely overwhelmed the weizen character but I didn't get any tannin from it even though it was black tea. It scored a 29 in the first competition I entered and their only criticism was the overpowering spice.

Edit: I made the two ounces in a French press according to the temp and time recommended by teavana and poured it in the boil at flameout.

I have definitely considered doing a metheglin with something from Teavana...I don't routinely add tannins to my mead except in certain circumstances, but it can be a valuable addition at times. I would think that many of the Teavana teas would have less tannins than your run-of-the-mill black tea (many of the Teavana teas I've tried use white or green tea as the base...)

Back