A little help please... - (with conditioning time)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD5LEF

Reaction score
I just finished a brewers best kit, as dos equis clone. Followed instructions etc. Bottled and let it sit in the closet for a month. I think Brewers best may have screwed up. Instead of a dos equis clone it tastes like a boulevard clone. Wheat beer with a twist of lemon to be exact. WTF? I am curious about this as I had to go back to the lbs and get a yeast pack as it was not in the box.

Fermentation temps were good. I left it in the primary for an extra 3 days just to make sure and racked to the secondary and left it for 2 weeks and it was nice and clear. I then bottled and left it for a month. It carbed well and holds a head for the entire glass, but I will be darned if it doesn't look kinda cloudy like a wheat and has a tart finish like a freakin boulevard.

Any thoughts, or is it still a bit green?

That tartness could probably be attributed to the beer being green, although a month in bottles should be enough. What type of yeast did they give you for that, just out of curiosity?

That tartness could probably be attributed to the beer being green, although a month in bottles should be enough. What type of yeast did they give you for that, just out of curiosity?

I wish I could say. I just checked the box and the website and it just says yeast. The local lbs is closed otherwise I could call and ask. Which I will probably do tomorrow. I want to say it was muntons.

I wish I could say. I just checked the box and the website and it just says yeast. The local lbs is closed otherwise I could call and ask. Which I will probably do tomorrow.

The only reason I ask is because Dos Equis is a lager and a true XX clone should use lager yeast and ferment at lager temps. Regardless, I would think your brew will improve with time.

The only reason I ask is because Dos Equis is a lager and a true XX clone should use lager yeast and ferment at lager temps. Regardless, I would think your brew will improve with time.

That would explain alot. I fermented at about 68 deg. HMM... well - I have 6 or so in the fridge and will let them sit til this weekend and try one.

That would explain alot. I fermented at about 68 deg. HMM... well - I have 6 or so in the fridge and will let them sit til this weekend and try one.

Steam beers are produced by using lager yeast at ale temps. I'm really not familiar with this type of beer so I'm not sure if the tartness or cloudiness is an attribute of this type of beer or not. Figure out if they gave you lager yeast and if so, that may explain what's going on.

Steam beers are produced by using lager yeast at ale temps. I'm really not familiar with this type of beer so I'm not sure if the tartness or cloudiness is an attribute of this type of beer or not. Figure out if they gave you lager yeast and if so, that may explain what's going on.

Nottingham ale yeast to be exact. I'm pretty sure it was the fermentation temp that did it.

For future reference (and this is just from my own tasting notes, not Biblical) steam beers are really crisp with a lot of clean bread or caramel malt character. Usually not heavily hopped so not terribly bitter or intensely floral. What really shines through is the cool and crisp mouthfeel and finish, yet very sweet taste with a lingering taste of caramel or sweet toasty grain.

If that's anything like what this beer is like, congrats! Steam is great in the summer months! Dances on the tongue with that sweet, sweet malt!

Nottingham ale yeast to be exact. I'm pretty sure it was the fermentation temp that did it.

Your fermentation temp was good for Nottingham. It wasn't the right yeast for a Dos Equis clone but your beer should still end up good. Let it sit in the dark at room temp for a week or two and then try another. I'll bet there will be a noticeable difference.

Sounds like either way, I should hurry up and wait about 2 weeeks or so and give it another try. Thanks for all the help as usual. I am bottling one great batch of Eds cider and will start another cream ale prob. this weekend. It is amazing how good beer doesn't last long.

Latest posts

Back