not enough yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor50505

Reaction score
I recently made an Irish Red Ale using the White Labs Irish Ale Yeast. The directions said to shake it well before opening it.. So we shook it and it exploded everywhere. We dumped the remaining yeast in the fermentation tank but it didn't seem like much. It is bubbling in the air lock and slighty foaming but not as much as my past beers. Should I ad more yeast? Or will it be ok.

one vial is good for one 5 gallon batch of ale at around 1.050 or so. some people make starters for all of their beer, even when they have a full vial. you threw in part of a vial of yeast, it will possibly stress the yeast, and make some strange tasting esters in your beer, which doesn't really sound good for your style. id go buy another vial.

I had a similar situation, but I was using dry yeast, and just pitched another rehydrated packet ~22 hours after initial pitching, i.e., before fermentation of my (unexpectedly) big beer got under way enough to create a high enough alcohol % to make adding more yeast an uphill battle. For the future I would use a starter for liquid yeasts to ensure a good pitching rate.

I shake the vial when I first get it to make sure that the yeast clump is broken up and then let it sit. Open a 'crack', tighthen, shake, repeat.

Back