Hello from Pittsburgh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtycrankrida

Reaction score
Hello
Im new to the forum, never brewed before. Very interested in learning and hope I can get plenty of tips off you users on this site. My parents brewed a little when I was younger before I really became interested.
Cheers
Hope to learn alot

Hello Pittsburgh,
I'm a rookie brewer (3 batches since late May), so I've been doing a lot of research lately. I was raised in Pittsburgh, but I've lived in Colorado for the last 18 years. Find yourself a good homebrew shop. We have a great one in Fort Collins called Hops & Berries. I purchased a starter kit plus an ingredient kit . There is a book called the Joy of Homebrewing (Charlie Papazian) included in my kit. It's been very helpful. There is also a home brewing book on the internet (by Charles Palmer) that is also very helpful.
I've done extract brews and one partial mash/extract. I hope to eventually get into all grain brewing and also transition from bottles to kegs. I also started with a friend, and that made things more enjoyable.
Hope that helps.
GO STEELERS !!!
marcopolo

I was gonna say,"Wow! The drummer from Emerson, Lake and Palmer wrote a brewing book?" But then we'd both be wrong, because that's Carl Palmer!

Whee! Don't you just love early mornings before coffee? :cross:

Anyhow, dirtykrankrida, welcome to HBT! There are clubs and shops galore in the greater Pittsburgh area. Here's what a search on www.beertown.org returned:

Three Rivers Alliance of Serious Homebrewers
PO Box 203
Coraopolis, PA 15108 USA
[email protected]
www.trashhomebrewers.org/

Three Rivers Underground Brewers (TRUB)
Pittsburgh, PA USA
[email protected]
www.trubrewers.com

I'd get in touch with a local club. I'm sure you'll find the veteran members a fount of advice and experience.

Cheers!

Bob

Welcome! I miss the 'burgh, I did not grow up in Pittsburgh but went to Pitt. It is a great city with great people. And I miss the occassional Primanti's sandwich.

This forum is filled with a lot of helpful people and they are always willing to answer questions (which you will have a ton once you start your first batch).
I started brewing in January and it has been a blast, one pieace of advice though is to be patient and not freak out. You will make mistakes, but the good thing is nature works its magic and you will still get beer out of your efforts.

Welcome to HBT!

As a former 'burgher, I can point you to a couple HB shops:

www.countrywines.com
www.southhillsbrewing.com

I like South Hills better, but check them both out...probably maks more sense just to use whichever is closer to you.

EDIT: looking at their web sites (which are now identical and didn't used to be) I wonder if South Hills has bought out Counry Wines?

I too am new to the forum and getting serious about homebrewing but agree that both South Hill Brewing and Wine store locations are great and very helpful. I've been going to the one in Monroeville, and the guys there couldn't be more helpful.

Back