Alcohol tolerance W34-70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogermolist

Reaction score
Hi!

I've in mind brew 5.5 gal of maibock beer. I expect OG : 1072- FG: 1015 and i would like to use W34-70. Is a good option?

Thank's

From what I can gather, this yeast strain has a 73-77% appearant attenuation. What you're proposing (1.072-1.015) is approximately 78% attenuation. If you plan on using this yeast then you'll definitely want to manage your fermentation schedule closely and provide a plenty-big, healthy starter. In the end, you might end up a point or two higher but you just might reach 78% given good parameters. I don't think the starting gravity will be an issue - it's just a matter if getting this yeast to do the most it can.

You can for sure attain those specs. It would be a good idea to chill the wort down to fermentation temperature before pitching, and then aerate right before the pitch, with lots of yeast, maybe three packs. A second dose of O2 a few days into fermentation wouldn't hurt either.

I love that yeast, and it's my go-to lager strain with some minor exceptions. Assuming you're keeping the unfermentables low or non-existent per the style, I see no problems getting your awesome maibock.

Thank's .If i get 1 or 2 points more in the FG it's ok for me. I was thinking in use 2 or 3 packs of yeast, it's a good idea for 5,5 gal??
I don't will use any adjunct, I saw these recipe in these forum, these is what i've in mind!
2,5 kg pilsner
2 kg vienna
2 kg munich

8 ibus with hallertauer hellsbrucker

90 min. Single infusion at 62 - 63 Celcius degrees

Primari fermention 8-9 Celcius degrees

Thank's and beer!

Back