Honey in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araknaphob1c

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a blonde ale here in the near future and I wanted to add honey into the secondary so that I could get a sweet finish and not have a high alcohol volume. Is there any particular way I should go about doing this; maybe boiling it in water before adding it in? How much should I add? Any help would be appreciated.

If you do a search there are many, many threads on this. But what you'll find is that honey will not add sweetness, because its a simple sugar. The yeast will ferment it out and actually give you a drier beer. I suppose if you're adding it in a keg and immediately chilling, it would work. But otherwise the best option for honey flavor is using honey malt which is a unique crystal malt which really does provide a honey flavor.

If you do a search there are many, many threads on this. But what you'll find is that honey will not add sweetness, because its a simple sugar. The yeast will ferment it out and actually give you a drier beer. I suppose if you're adding it in a keg and immediately chilling, it would work. But otherwise the best option for honey flavor is using honey malt which is a unique crystal malt which really does provide a honey flavor.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back