o-ring lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
Need to find some lube for my o-ring. My LHBS isn't open. Is ther some other type of food grade lube I can use?
ToBrew

Ed, I've read a lot about this recently. BierMuncher uses mineral oil. Petrol Gel sold by many online HB retailers is petroleum based. Will it really eat your o-rings?

Also, I've not been able to find any info on the contents of the product labeled "keg lube." Is it silicone?

What do you use?

Keg Lube and similar "silicone" greases are typically comprised of amorphous fumed silica combined with a thickening/suspension agent like Polydimethylsiloxane and/or Dimethyl Siloxane, in a ratio of around 1:7.

Decidedly not "petroleum gel" - or even petroleum-based...

Cheers!

Keg Lube and similar "silicone" greases are typically comprised of amorphous fumed silica combined with a thickening/suspension agent like Polydimethylsiloxane and/or Dimethyl Siloxane, in a ratio of around 1:7.

Decidedly not "petroleum gel" - or even petroleum-based...

Cheers!

Always depending on where you get the dimethylsiloxane from, I suppose.

So where does polydimethylsiloxane come from?

Already answered that. You either didn't bother to read the linked article, or you didn't understand it.

Specifically, where does the dimethyl come from?

"Dimethyl" is not a stand-alone compound, so it doesn't "come from" anywhere. The term describes hydrocarbon structural components as part of a larger molecule - in this case, polydimethylsiloxane - that are typical conveyed via precursor catalyzed synthesis from syngas, which is turn may be wholly synthetic, or derived from coal or natural gas...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back