Running tap lines out to a new deck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHadack

Crafty
Reaction score
I have a new deck I built out back and even though it is covered with 3+ feet of snow right now I am already thinking about how I am going to run my tap lines out there. :D

I was just given a kegging system (5 gallon corny keg, CO2 tank) and a co-worker is giving me a full-size refrigerator modified to store kegs with the holes for the taplines coming out from the sides. I have a basement utility room where I planned to put the fridge which is against the same wall as the deck, but below it by 6.5 feet (from basement floor to the height of the deck planks outside.) I have an old hole in the sill just above the foundation (close to where the fridge will be) to run the lines out with no problem, but if I were to guess I'd say it would take 12-15 feet of tap line from the keg to the serving point.

Having never used a corny keg set-up before, let along a configuration like this, I am wondering:
1. Will this work?
2. Is there a better method for doing it myself with some cheap supplies (i.e. without having to buy a kegerator)

Any other recommendations that you innovative beer lovers can suggest would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am by no means an expert but the first thing that comes to mind is the 12 - 15 feet of unrefrigerated beer line. Every time you use it you're going to have to waist a lot of beer to get to the cold stuff in the keg, am I wrong?

thats the only reason i haven't run my tap lines up from the basement to my bar. i haven't come up with a good way to keep the lines cool. i'd like to know if anyone has done this succesfully as well

you are looking at a recirculating glycol system along with recirculating acid based cleaning regiment for this to work.

Just run the lines up and out. Get some of that plumbing peel and stick foam insulation and put it around the beer line to insulate it.

I have +12ft of lines sitting under my tap, might as well make it go somewhere. The lines angled up will help when the co2 comes out of solution. That will create less foam and help with the rise in temp for the first pour...depending on season of course..

-cheers.

I see this.

3+ foot of snow that you have to deal with to pour a pint.

how about having taps in the house instead?

-=jason=-

I wonder how much waste would be in that length of line. The beverage tubing has such a thick wall, that I doubt you would waste too much. However in the summer, I could imagine that beer in the line would be warm very quickly. You would also have to run your regulator at about 30 psi, assuming 2 psi resistance per foot of beverage tubing, not a problem though.

Back