"Microcarbonated" Molson M Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
revvy nailed it. sounds like they are using a smaller carbonation stone....

The company says microcarbonization is a revolutionary process implemented by Molson Coors at the company's brewery on Notre-Dame Street in Montreal, a process during which the beer is injected with CO2 through smaller, finer bubbles with a high level of precision and consistency.

"The injection of smaller CO2 bubbles makes it possible to preserve not only the taste of the hops but also the delicate flavours generated by the yeast during fermentation," explained Karine Brunelle, brewer with Molson Coors.
http://www.beverageworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37114:molson-coors-launches-microcarbonated-lager&catid=3:daily-headlines&Itemid=173

Wow if you put that microcarbed beer in one of those miller vortex bottles with the new write on labels that bud lite just came out with, and have a picture of mountains appear when the beer is chilled to optimal temperature, this could revolutionize beer as we know it. ;)

Wow if you put that microcarbed beer in one of those miller vortex bottles with the new write on labels that bud lite just came out with, and have a picture of mountains appear when the beer is chilled to optimal temperature, this could revolutionize beer as we know it. ;)

Only if it's triple-hopped...

In Brewing With Wheat, I read that when they first started, the Widmer brothers encouraged bars to have servers walk around with trays of their wheat beer, making it look like a lot people were ordering it, even though at first it was not very popular.

Almost every brewery (and business people in general), will use trickery if it fills their wallets.

As long as the majority of the public remains ignorant about beer (and a lot of other things) the big guys will continue to use stupid phrases, buzzwords and imaginary techniques to convince the vast unwashed to consume their products. From beechwood aging, to triple hopped, to microcarbonated the beat goes on.

don't forget Frost Brewed! How could you "brew" beer at cold temperatures? i guess Frost Fermented doesnt have the catch....

From beechwood aging...

Beechwood aging is actually true, and AB still does it. The beechwood chips provide surface area for the yeast to grow on, increasing the amount of yeast during lagering. It's a simple principle. The same technique is used (not with beechwood obviously) in aquariums to increase filtering capacity.

More proof that style trumps substance when marketing to the masses.

A very good article by a marketing guy who is not a beer drinker, who even believes this is hooey...

Microcarbonated marketing mush
April 14, 2011 by Francis Moran

By Francis Moran

There may be few products more reduced to commodity status than mass-produced beer. (As Monty Python almost said, “Why is mass-produced beer like making love in a canoe? They’re both ****ing close to water.” The Python troupe, in the wonderful Hollywood Bowl rendition of their famous “Australian Philosophers Drinking Song,” were actually lampooning American beer, but I think the line holds up.) Still, this doesn’t prevent the big beer companies from constantly trying to introduce new elements they hope will boost their brand’s share of market by a percentage point or two. Who can blame them? Gain even one-tenth of a percentage point in new market share in Canada and you’ve boosted your revenues by some $90 million.

And so we have seen refinements of almost every sort imaginable. Ice beer, dry beer, lime-infused beer, beer in tall cans, cans that tell you when the beer is cold — countless such iterations have come and gone. You know one brewery has tripped onto something that’s working when all the rest pile on.

The latest is Molson Coors Canada’s microcarbonated lager.

Not being a beer drinker, I was first made aware of the advent of this wondrous new beverage when one of my teenage sons — also not (yet) a beer drinker, I hasten to add — pointed to a huge billboard advertising the new stuff and asked me what microcarbonated meant. I told him I was pretty sure it was nothing more than a typical beer company marketing gimmick. But his follow-on questions about why a company would spend what was obviously a lot of money telling people about a new product feature that doubtless lived more convincingly in a headline than it would on the taste buds of beer drinkers got me thinking, too.

So I looked at the website for the new beer, looked at a dozen or so online taste tests of it and polled beer-drinking friends and acquaintances who had tried the stuff. The consensus was that whatever microcarbination was supposed to do, the product was indistinguishable from good old Molson Canadian, the brewery’s flagship product.

So, what was Molson thinking?

The company’s stated objective was to create a premium beer brand but the marketing jury is still very much out on that one.

Here’s my view.

Their tagline, “The world’s only microcarbonated lager” is the kind of powerful unique selling proposition that business schools tell you every product needs. What every USP needs, though, is a genuine value proposition that consumers will buy into again and again. And this new product seems to be lacking that. While many of the folks I polled admitted they bought the beer because they had seen the advertising materials, or when they saw its shiny and distinctive new labelling in the beer store — another consistent beer company marketing tactic is to mix up the labelling and even the packaging every now and again — they probably wouldn’t buy it again because it didn’t deliver on its advertised promise of being something new and different.

There are a few sharp lessons here for technology companies.

* It’s not what you say your product delivers that matters; it’s what your customers get out of it.
* It’s not your brand promise that establishes how the marketplace will see you; it’s how well and consistently you deliver on that promise.
* And it’s not your latest feature that will win the day; it’s the benefit, if any, that that feature delivers to your customers that will create a sustainable competitive differentiation.

Bottom line: Microcarbonated beer may have delivered a powerful marketing line for Molson, one that other beer companies may well emulate in their relentless quest for the tiniest improvement in market share. But unless the promise it conveys actually pans out by way of delivering some kind of value to consumers — and every indication is that it isn’t — it will end up as just one more mushy marketing line on the slag-heap of bad marketing campaigns.

I tried it, the bubbles are not CO2, they're N2. When I tasted it, I could tell the acid balance was out compared to regular beer. Then I had to open my mouth to the serving girl... what a mistake... I had to explain carbonic acid to her. Now, she will not drink beer.

I tried it, the bubbles are not CO2, they're N2. When I tasted it, I could tell the acid balance was out compared to regular beer. Then I had to open my mouth to the serving girl... what a mistake... I had to explain carbonic acid to her. Now, she will not drink beer.

You told her it was yeast farts, eh? Did you tell her that ALL alcohol that we drink is nothing but yeast pi$$ as well? ;)

Beechwood aging is actually true, and AB still does it. The beechwood chips provide surface area for the yeast to grow on, increasing the amount of yeast during lagering. It's a simple principle. The same technique is used (not with beechwood obviously) in aquariums to increase filtering capacity.

Right. But the funny thing is, the beechwood is neutral and totally used up anyways when they use it... so the only point is surface area. It's really not that special.

You told her it was yeast farts, eh? Did you tell her that ALL alcohol that we drink is nothing but yeast pi$$ as well? ;)

:(

I never got that far... actually, I'm glad, since I have a Asperger Syndrome, and I probably would have made a golden (beer) shower joke as well.

I know it's true but I can guarantee you that nobody who drinks Budweiser and a lot of those who don't have no idea what "beechwood aging" actually is. The fact that the slabs are made of beechwood is irrelevant and I'll bet a large number of AB consumers think of huge wooden tanks when they see the phrase on the label or hear it on TV. :mug:

The local beer blog I read has been writing about Molson M. After slagging their marketing on his site he was contacted by Molson with free Canadian and M to try. A pretty good read. http://barleymowat.com/

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of either M or Canadian:

"Molson Canadian and M are terrible. Just ungordly awful. I paused after my second sip of each and pondered what exactly I had done wrong in my life to wind up here, now, drinking this schlock. These beers are not just pale, insipid, hollow ghosts of what a beer might once have aspired to. No, they are just plain dreadful.

They start with a faint nose of slightly-off straw, which can only be described as “barn-like” in quality, or perhaps even more accurately “used barn-like.” Too vague? Ok, piss. It smells like goat piss on wet hay. Perhaps, the piss is why the hay is wet and mildewing. I’m not really going to invest too much thought on this one, but I’ve spent enough time in petting zoos to confirm this comparison is apt.

The body is virtually non-existant, although some of the M did have a slight tinge of unfermented malt (not all, though, making me think their quality control isn’t where Canadian’s is). The finish is like being physically assaulted by a bad, off-beer taste. When I say this beer is bad, I do not mean “not good.” I mean “bad as in milk.” In fact, the most repeated first comment after a sip was not “Ugh”, “This is bad” or “Yuck.” No, the first comment was universally a gag reflex. I am not making this up. This beer is so bad your body confuses it with poison and wants you to stop drinking it right-the-****-now. After that, you’re stuck with a off-putting chemical taste on the palate that only another sip can seemingly cure, even if temporarily."

I'm thoroughly ashamed that "Canadian" is part of the name :(

I was actually really pissed when I was told by a bartender (female) that the new Molson M is the equivalent to craft beer. I blew up on her and gave her a thorough educating to much of my friends embarrassment. She's our regular sever after our hockey games at Shoeless Joe's so I didn't really feel guilty.

Anywho, the manager at least came over and said he was thinking of putting a craft beer on tap... I doubt it will happen. Least my words felt listened to.

Latest posts

Back