Bulk 2 row pricing comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I want to order 100lbs of 2 row, I checked my 4 normal online shops and here is what I came up with....anywhere else I should be looking?

Northern Brewer
100 lbs Grain 65.98
shipping 34.10
Total 100.08
Delivered price per pound $1.00

More Beer
100 lbs Grain 64.50
shipping 71.81
Total 136.31
Delivered price per pound $1.36

Austin Home Brew
80lbs Grain 103.98
shipping 6.99
Total 110.97
Delivered price per pound $1.39

Midwest
100 lbs Grain 59.90
shipping 28.88
Total 88.78
Delivered price per pound $0.89

Just the other two sacks for me. .... uh, I mean, looks good.

I need to get some moneys. I need a pallet. :D

recently some of us allgrainers in the club bought a pallet of 2 row - got the price down to abouot $22 a sack

In my mind you need to pick up from your LHBS or get in on a bulk purchase. You might not be able to get in on either of those options in your town. I know if I pick up 1 50# bag of Breiss pale 2 Row at the LHBS it is around .80¢ a pound. Not the best price but without shipping it works. Food for thought.

<EDIT>I take that back... It looks like if you order from NW you are right in there.

Gammon N Beer said:
SuperiorBrew

There is a new shop in Barron. I am not certain how far it is from Ashland to Barron but it may be something for you to consider.

http://www.windriverbrew.com/menu.html

Thanks! I did not know there was one there, They have decent pricing as well at $29.50 for 50lbs even with tax it's only $0.62 a pound.
NB was my closest LHBS and they are 4 hours away.
It's 130 miles from my door to WindRiver Brewing Company but I do get by there when I need to go to the cities. I will make sure to stop there next trip thru.

SuperiorBrew said:
Thanks! I did not know there was one there, They have decent pricing as well at $29.50 for 50lbs even with tax it's only $0.62 a pound.
NB was my closest LHBS and they are 4 hours away.
It's 130 miles from my door to WindRiver Brewing Company but I do get by there when I need to go to the cities. I will make sure to stop there next trip thru.

Glad you found the info helpful...

I wander up your way every now and then. Maybe I can pony something up for you if we new far enough in advance to work it out. My main shop is Northern Brewery in St. Paul. I do have an interest in stopping at Wind River, but it is out of my way a bit.

I believe Wind river may have been in the twin cities but am not 100% on that.

BTW - I just got a Holiday card from your State Rep today. Gary is a great man. He and I served together in the legislature.

Gammon N Beer said:

I wander up your way every now and then. Maybe I can pony something up for you if we new far enough in advance to work it out. My main shop is Northern Brewery in St. Paul. I do have an interest in stopping at Wind River, but it is out of my way a bit.

BTW - I just got a Holiday card from your State Rep today. Gary is a great man. He and I served together in the legislature.

Sounds good, I just ordered some stuff from them & when I checked out it said that they had moved from Eden Prairie and that they were offering free freight for MPS/StPaul metro customers (over a certain dollar amount I think)

Austinhomebrew said:
You can't compare retail price with wholesale price.
I only compared retail isnt Midwest is retail just like you and NB and B3?

100 lbs of 2 row from Midwest Homebrew Supply is 79.90 not $59.90.
So the delivered price would be $108.78 and $1.09 per pound.

From Midwest Homebrew's site: American 2-row (Briess) 50lbs.- Not Crushed
American 2-row- Briess Malting (USA) 50lbs. Lovibond rating: 1.15-2.0

Price: $39.95

Superior- Check out Point Brew Supply:

http://www.pointbrewsupply.com/

Rahr: $31.47

Briess 2-row: $39.95

MO: $47.95

There are several choices for shipping, the cheapest of which was called "table rate", whatever that is, and it was $9.66 for me. So a delivered price per pound for me for Briess would be .90/lb. Rahr would be .74/lb. You live pretty close to Stevens Point, too, so I imagine your shipping would be similar.
I was just up there a couple weeks ago, and I belive she said her prices would be going up after the first or the year, so I'd move fast if you decide to go this route.

Austinhomebrew said:

Form the comparison I used Rahr (what I have been useing) from Northern Brewer & Midwest, Great Western from More Beer & the unbranded "American" from your site.

American 2-Row (Rahr) 50 lbs - Not Crushed Price: $29.95

Bernie Brewer said:
Superior- Check out Point Brew Supply:

http://www.pointbrewsupply.com/

Rahr: $31.47

Briess 2-row: $39.95

MO: $47.95

There are several choices for shipping, the cheapest of which was called "table rate", whatever that is, and it was $9.66 for me. So a delivered price per pound for me for Briess would be .90/lb. Rahr would be .74/lb. You live pretty close to Stevens Point, too, so I imagine your shipping would be similar.
I was just up there a couple weeks ago, and I belive she said her prices would be going up after the first or the year, so I'd move fast if you decide to go this route.

Thanks Bernie, I put 2 in the cart and the best way was UPS for $18.98 bringing the total to $81.92 or $0.82 a pound. Will have to check them out. My parents drive up from Slinger about once a month and would be within a mile of them, I think pick ups could be arranged :D

Ditto that. I'm only using Briess right now because it's what the LHBS had in stock. Whenever I can get it cheaply, I'm sure switching to Rahr 2-row for the cost savings.

I think this is all great info, thanks for compiling it. I wonder if we could have some sort of price-watch subforum, where we collectively post our prices whenever we are able to, so that everyone can find the best deal. Then again, not everyone would necessarily benefit from that.

MAN, I wish I lived near PB though. Their prices are good, and they sell other interesting equipment too!

Austinhomebrew said:

That grain is $38+tax at my LHBS (just checked today) so if you can find it local and you wont pay shipping.

And no matter what you buy, if it makes you feel better, know that 50# Briess 2-row is $54 + tax at my lhbs.

chriso said:
if it makes you feel better, know that 50# Briess 2-row is $54 + tax at my lhbs.

It's $52 at mine plus tax. Seeing these online HBS's in perspective I don't feel as bad ******* over the money. I'm smack dab in the middle per-pound which is a narrow enough margin that I'll happily support "the local guy".

I would too but the local guy is close to 3 hours away :(
One of the only downfalls of living in BFE

I'm as close to BFE as I want to get. :D
15 minutes I can be in the middle of no-where (cow land) and 15 minutes the other way I'm downtown in the 2nd largest city in MI.

What I get from this research is I'm glad I have an LHBS nearby that charges reasonably for bulk grain. They are small and usually only have a couple of bags but I just picked up 55# of Muntons 2-row for $42+tax. Last summer MO was $48 but they were out when I stopped.
Craig

I'm surprised at how much some of you guys spend at your LHBS for sacks. I'm all the way up in Alaska, in a city without any roads so everything has to be flown or barged here and I'm getting 50# sacks of Great Western 2-Row from my local for $45.

Now that I think of it... maybe they have a deal to piggyback on orders with Alaskan Brewing Company or something. Definately doesn't for specialty malts since he sells them in only 1# bags from the distributor for around $2.50-$3.00

Sometimes I get sacks when I'm down in Seattle though... Gambrinus Pale 2-Row is $33 and Breiss is $28 at Larry's...

Gammon N Beer said:

I placed an order with them on Friday, they were closed till Wednesday and I got it today (Thursday) Packed nice, very smooth transaction.
Thanks!

I just might have to try Wind River. SB, You're also Zone 1 according to their site, how much was actual shipping cost? If I'm reading their Zone table right, I think I can get 50# bag of 2-row to my door for $45.00, almost 10 bucks less than my LHBS before tax.

Sounds about right the shipping should be like $14.50 or $15.00 & tax free :)

we are lucky here in the upstate of sc that our lbhs is also a micro brewery. so bulk buys from him are at a substantial savings. we even have ppl come in from hours away in nc to buy.

Back