Brewers Best Kits & Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBrew1

Reaction score
Another Newbie, I have a question concerning Yeast. I have purchased 2 kits from Brewers Best. A Russian Imp. Stout & Belgian Tripel. Both of which are a higher ABV brew. My question is why do they give me a Nottingham Yeast, when everything that I have read on this Forum leads me to believe that a higher ABV beer would most likely do better with a Yeast that performs in Higher ABV beer. Am I wrong, thinking a higher ABV should use a Yeast that can perform (and survive) in higher ABV beers like these? :mug:

I personally love Denny's Favorite 50 for anything dark (the mouthfeel is aways amazing) and WLP 500 for Triples. Nottingham is a great all around yeast that is "clean", meaning that it doesn't add much in the flavoring department. You want your yeasts to have some input in both of those beers.

Thanks for the input guy's and the links to the Nottingham spec's. I think I will try a Yeast Starter next time and see how that goes. I was considering a Belgian Yeast, maybe one for a higher ABV Brew, but for now I'll try the Nottingham again and check into a Starter. Thanks again.

You don't and shouldn't make a starter for dry yeast. Just rehydrate it and you'll be good to go.

If it were me, I'd ditch the notty and go with WLP002 on the stout. It's creamy and awesome. If you want it dryer, maybe WLP004.

+1 to the WLP500, also WLP530 makes a mean tripel. I really like WLP530 in Belgians.

I got burned on notty every time i tried it, but many people have great success with it.

Thanks for the quick responses guy's. I'm glad you warned me about the rehydrating the Dry Yeast and not doing a starter with it MUNKLUNK. livErD69, thanks for the info, that sounds real interesting, I have had some problems with the Nottingham lately, I had to repitch after 4 day's of nothing happening, so I am a bit nervous about using it again so soon. I like the idea of using the WLP002 for my Russian Imperial Stouts, that sounds delicious, so much so that I may be testing my Will Power to try to not touch it until it's ready.:drunk: I am going to do some research on the WLP500 and 530 for my Tripels also. Nothing like trying new stuff just to see what happens. :mug:

Awesome. WLP002 is one of my favorites. It adds a lot in it's own way, and it can handle an imperial np. You will probably want to use the mrmalty pitch rate calculator to see how big of a starter to make.

Also don't be alarmed if you buy it and it looks like clumpy and possibly weird cottage cheese. It's just how that strain is. If you think it's weird out of the tube just wait until you wash it for the first time lol. You'll also want to consider using a blow-off tube, I usually have blow off with it. Since it floccates like a crazy person hitting the cement you should get a very clean beer in the end. I often rouse the primary once active fermentation has slowed, and usually see it pick up again. Again just how it is, but I love what it gives ya!

As far as the belgian strains, I think WLP530 adds more fruitiness and esters, WLP500 would give you more plum notes. Both are very good.

Have fun :)

I think I will try the WLP530 on my next Tripel. I like the sounds of the Fruity accent's you mentioned, more so than the Plum flavoring. Thanks for all the info on the yeast, Like I say, I am a bit concerned about using the Nottingham after my past experiences with it. I on average probably have good results 50% of the time lately with the Notty and just dont want to risk a good brew I just spent a couple hours tending to like a newborn.:rockin:

Thanks for the info livErD69, and also to munklunk, I think I might try tyour reccomendation for "Denny's Favorite 50". I am going to have to try that one also to see wht the final result is. Sound good though.

Back