Questions on my 1st lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAIndigo

Reaction score
I have a lager (second brew for me-extract-) that has been in a secondary for 2 weeks now at 35f. I plan on leaving the beer at this temp for 2 more weeks. I have been reading a bunch on this and other forums over the last few weeks and I have some questions on clarity.

1: will my beer clear on its own at this temp?
2: should I be considering clarifying agents and if so when do they get added?
3: what about this diacetyl rest thingy????:drunk:

Sure is a bunch of stuff for a new guy to take in.
All help appreciated

1... yes

2... you shouldn't need it when lagering, but if you decide to use them, you can do it now.

3.. a bit late in the game to worry about a diacetyl rest. That should have been done in primary when the large amount of primary yeast could reduce any diacetyl.

Did you detect any diacetyl in the brew when you racked to secondary? Perhaps you didn't need one.

Did you detect any diacetyl in the brew when you racked to secondary? Perhaps you didn't need one.

None what so ever.
I was reading another thread and it wasn't clear when that rest took place. I figured doing it wouldn't do my beer harm, only good.

Any preference on fining/clearing agents

Thanks

I'm sure someone out there will disagree with me, but I've never put any fining agents in my beer post-boil (I use irish moss, but only because I have a huge bag of it, most of the time I forget anyway). I would let it go another 3-4 weeks instead of 2 myself and you'll have a clear beer. Be sure to age it cold after giving it a few days in the bottle. That last bit of cold aging will clear it out in the bottle

None what so ever.

Any preference on fining/clearing agents

Thanks

Then you didn't need a rest if you didn't taste any there on racking.

Fining and clearing agents usually depends on what you are trying to get rid of.
I sometimes use gelatin and sometimes polyclar, but just usually just depend on time and cold temperature.

I'm sure someone out there will disagree with me, but I've never put any fining agents in my beer post-boil (I use irish moss, but only because I have a huge bag of it, most of the time I forget anyway). I would let it go another 3-4 weeks instead of 2 myself and you'll have a clear beer. Be sure to age it cold after giving it a few days in the bottle. That last bit of cold aging will clear it out in the bottle

Thanks,
Thats some wait. Drooling over here!!!!

OK, I'll bite on this and disagree! :D My purpose for fining (gelatin) is two fold. One is the help with clearing and the second is to help to get a more "stable" yeast cake in the keg. I fine mostly for the second reason. I find when I tap a new keg, the fined ones will clear up faster (fewer pints pulled before the beer flows clear)

Of course this applies to kegging. Also I typically will fine my lagers, but not my ales.

Back